Local Talk

Family Members Club in Tunbridge Wells

(6 Posts)
MollyCairns Tue 21-Jan-14 13:09:01

Hello!
I am looking to start a business focused on supporting families in the area and would really appreciate some help understanding what you think is needed.
Would you be interested in joining a members club for families?
It would offer a social hub for families; a great cafe for parents tailored to you with space for buggies, a place to heat milk, baby size potions, a play area for children. And then a studio and art room (with classes for children and parents such a art classes, pre and post natal yoga with childcare included)
Woud you pay similar to a gym membership e.g £50-60 per month?

Thank you in advance for any help/comment!

MrsOgg Tue 21-Jan-14 13:18:33

Yes if I was rich I think so.

Poems Wed 22-Jan-14 10:29:00

I think that's a lot of money. You'd be paying for the coffee, cake, art classes etc in addition. In the gym membership you get the use of very expensive equipment, swimming pool, sauna etc. IMO it's not a good time to invest in luxuries like places to go to spend time & money.

MollyCairns Wed 22-Jan-14 12:05:10

Hi Poems, thanks for your comment.
It would work out as 12.50 a week.
The thing is that a child friendly cafe model just doesn't create enough revenue to survive as 50% of your potential cover space is taken up by the children's area.
It is either charge double for everything in the cafe to make it up or membership.

Jurassicmumof2 Wed 22-Jan-14 14:16:15

I think it's a great idea. Perhaps a good market would be breastfeeding mums who need to sit for as long as it takes. A place where they were actively welcomed , maybe breastfeeding cushions around and clean changing facilities I'm sure would be popular. For slightly older children perhaps running free rhymetime or storytelling occasionally would attract people and make it feel they were getting something for their membership fee.

MollyCairns Wed 22-Jan-14 14:29:26

Hi Jurassicmumof2,
Thank you for your comment!
Yes that was what I had in mind, a place where you feel welcome and comfortable rather than being either a) frowned at for having children or b) surrounded by plastic and made to sit on a child size chair whilst drinking an instant coffee.
I would be creating quite a serious play area, as well as good facilities for Mums and Dads, and a few free classes each week.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now