Thinking of moving to Maidstone

(10 Posts)
Fofia Thu 25-Feb-16 10:18:45

Hi, my husband and I are thinking of moving to Maidstone, we currently live in Greenhithe but we are looking to move somewhere to with a bit more of a community feel. We don't have kids yet. We have been there a couple of times and we really like it, but reading online people keep saying it's not nice and full of chavs and quite rough. But the posts are quite old. Any help and advice will be appreciated.

OhForCodsHake Thu 25-Feb-16 10:34:01

Hmm, I live near there and would say that some of the preconceptions are possibly true...Do you definitely want to be in the town itself or would you think about one of the villages just outside?

Fofia Thu 25-Feb-16 10:44:25

It could be one of the towns around. My husband would have to drive into London for work so nothing to far. Were we live is quite isolated though close to London. I just want to build a social life.

Fofia Thu 25-Feb-16 12:23:30

Alsi, what about Tonbridge?

slebmum1 Thu 25-Feb-16 13:29:03

To bridge is very different (nicer) to Maidstone IMO. And property is a lot more expensive.

Will your husband drive or train to London?

Fofia Thu 25-Feb-16 13:43:40

He would be driving, trains from there cost a fortune! He drives now as well. Yes I looked at the rent prices and there is a big difference. And I would look for work in that part of the world.

Floralnomad Tue 01-Mar-16 23:16:36

We are on the outskirts of Maidstone and I love it ,that said I only go into the actual town about twice a year .

kentlass Sat 11-Jun-16 16:37:13

A bit late to this thread but I live in Maidstone & absolutely love it. Not chavvy at all where we live. There are of course less pleasant areas in any town & if you would like to pm me I'd happily advise.We count our blessings that we live in such a nice area.
I'd absolutely steer clear of Chatham though.

GardenOfEngland Fri 22-Jul-16 11:28:36

People keep saying these things about Maidstone but I have never understood them well. I do not live there but visit it occasionally. It has good transportation and good schools including grammars. Also all high populated areas have chavvy parts. It seems to me that Maidstone has a perception problem rather than a real problem. But again I might be wrong. I think Maidstone offers really good value for money.

Florin Fri 22-Jul-16 17:22:02

Maidstone is the biggest hole of a place I have ever seen. We live about 35 mins away. I have been once (about 5 months ago) convinced it couldn't be as bad as I had heard but it really is and worse. Tonbridge would be a good option or one of the surrounding villages as it isn't as expensive as Tunbridge Wells or Sevenoaks but much nicer than Maidstone.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now