Moving to Kent--Cranbrook district or Marden?

(6 Posts)
enyaheadress Mon 11-Apr-16 12:49:38

Hello all, my family and I are looking to move to Kent. We have been looking around the Cranbrook school catchment for a month. We've seen 20 houses but just this weekend we viewed an American oast just off Staplehurst road. It is officially in Marden but I know nothing about the area. I would appreciate any advice. I have three children, 12.5, 10.5 and 18 months so one in year secondary transfer...

BoboChic Mon 11-Apr-16 12:50:47

Where are you thinking of sending your 12.5 year old to school?

enyaheadress Tue 12-Apr-16 14:44:04

@bobochic We are not sure as we unexpectedly found this home in Staplehurst road. The rightmove house entry lists Maidstone Girls Grammar and Invicta as in the 2015 catchment. We are new to the Grammar system. MGGS might be good for both girls. Do you know anything about it? We are trying to gauge its suitability for our oldest daughter who is more interested in the arts (drawing, drama) and sports than more academic subjects. Our middle child has some SEN support from her London school and we are worried about MGGS's suitability for her, if she were to pass the 11+

BoboChic Tue 12-Apr-16 16:50:41

I don't know anything about the Maidstone schools. Cranbrook is good, obviously. The Tenterden school, Holmewood, is a comprehensive but pretty popular.

We live in Marden smile lovely, welcoming village with lots of activities for families

Florin Thu 26-May-16 07:30:50

I think I know the house you mean, think it might have been on the market when we were looking. Does it have a distinctive colour kitchen? We love the whole area. In the end we decided we preferred Cranbrook as we love the high street and wanted to be in the catchment area for the school. There is always so much going on in the Summer with fetes, game fairs and country shows etc. However you do pay a premium for Cranbrook school catchment and it is really difficult to get in. Do you think your eldest 2 would? If not it may not be worth the premium of paying to be in the catchment. Is your eldest in year 7? If so I would potentially get them into private pronto as they can prepare them for the Cranbrook test. As they have an Entry in at year 9.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now