Moving to Canterbury

(6 Posts)
Natfromthebay Mon 25-Apr-16 00:01:47

Hi, just after a bit of advice on good/bad areas to live in Canterbury. We've currently seen a few houses around the New Dover Road/Barton Road areas, nice houses but is this a good place for families? It seems quite near the Spring Lane Estate which I hear doesn't have a great reputation.

Bexwhit85 Mon 25-Apr-16 21:24:15

The most important thing in Canterbury is parking!

To be honest i do a lot of visits to clients on the spring lane estate and its always been very quiet during the day. None of my clients have mentioned problem neighbours. Its definitely not the roughest estate I've been on.

Barton Road is pretty quiet from what i recall. I suppose it depends on what you're after in the area i.e close to good nurseries, play parks etc

VerityLocalEdKent Thu 28-Apr-16 20:51:27

Hi Nat - I'm based in Canterbury so happy to help!

The houses around New Dover Road are nice but you need to be careful with school catchments.

Do you need to be in that are for a reason? If not, then you could look at ...

* St Dunstans - nice parade of shops and lots of amenities. Very close to 'Toddler's Cove' (a lovely park!)

* Wincheap - you get a bit more for your money here. Good links onto the A2 and a fair few useful shops in the industrial estate/retail park

Good luck with the move!

VerityLocalEdKent Thu 28-Apr-16 20:52:07

*area not are shock

mumofaskit Sun 19-Jun-16 21:09:12

Would you not consider Whitstable? I live very close and wouldn't really consider a lot of parts of Canterbury (I don't like New Dover Rd personally) I go to university in Canterbury near Barton Court grammar school and where I get dropped off the back roads there aren't nice either. Defintely avoid Sturry.

villanova Fri 01-Jul-16 11:25:33

I live in Canterbury near Sturry Road: not the greatest area as there are a lot of students, but if you care more about amenities it's close to supermarkets, walking to town, parks etc. Do you need primary or secondary schools, as that should perhaps be one of the biggest factors in your decision, as a number are over-subscribed. Some very small areas of Canterbury are not so nice, but 1 or 2 streets away are just fine. You can judge by the property price and what the neighbourhood looks like!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now