How does childcare for v.little ones work???

(4 Posts)
crazychemist Wed 15-Jun-16 19:52:51

Hi there,
I'm currently pregnant (due 1st October) and am hopefully moving to New Ash Green in just over a month. I currently work as a teacher in London. After my maternity leave finishes I'll need to return to work, but how do I find out about childcare in Kent? In London there seem to be loads of places that do 6 months+, but I can't seem to find out what there is where I'm moving to confused Bit worried - there seem to be amazing places for 3+ but I can't see anything for younger. Help please! Getting a bit worried

VerityLocalEdKent Fri 17-Jun-16 06:14:47

I'm based in East Kent, so can't help with recommendations but have had to search for childcare in the past.

Looks like a new Montessori has just opened in Fawkham - is that close enough?

When I was looking for child care, I used the Ofsted site. I found it a good starting point, but didn't take their grading too seriously.

Have you considered a childminder? You can search for registered childminders here.

Cindy34 Fri 17-Jun-16 06:38:41

Kent family information service will have information about Registered Childminders and Nurseries.
As a teacher it is important that you discuss with any childcare provider if you are able to have a term time only place, or if you would be paying all year round. It can be useful to have childcare available on some weeks when you are not physically at work, all that lesson planning!

Consider care near work and near home. For a baby I would be mostly looking at Childminders as it's more homely. Nurseries are the other option, do have a look around a few, see what their under 2's provision is like.

crazychemist Fri 17-Jun-16 15:58:16

Thanks both of you that's really helpful. I had spotted the Montessori in Fawkham, it would be absolutely perfect, but I thought Montessori ones were only age 2+? Very good point about the full time/term time, I hadn't thought about that at all!
Really glad to get your advice smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now