Strood is on the up....

(6 Posts)
Rocka Mon 11-Jul-16 20:26:39

Having recently moved to Strood from South London..Value for money is ridiculously good when it comes to housing and transport links are fab! Schools could be better but if the quality of resident is on the up, then things will improve. I have noticed that more and more Londoners are cottoning on to this little gem. House prices have increased by 30% in 18mths! But we need to improve the high street as the demographic is changing. A nice coffee shop, gastro pub, boutique would be a lovely addition. I lived in inner city London which has now been gentrified and hope the same for Strood as the potential is here. What can we do to improve the reputation of Strood to make the more appealing? Any thoughts?....

twittwooery Mon 11-Jul-16 20:33:00

As someone who lives in a nearby town, I wouldn't say it's getting better. I'd say it's stagnant really if not getting worse. The high streets are dead and most of the neighbouring towns look dire. Rochester perhaps the best. Maidstone also if you count that. The locals seem the same as they were and those with higher incomes tend to leave in my experience, but I think with relative closeness and with many moving out of London, it is ripe for reinvestment and has a lot of potential

Rocka Tue 12-Jul-16 22:32:00

As you say it's ripe for reinvestment and has potential. It's just the people but newbies are moving in. We are testament to that. Medway Council is about to invest £9m into Strood Town Centre so hopefully that will impove the high street. The situation does remind me of when I lived in an undesirable London inner city which is now a very desirable sought after area. We can only hope the same for Strood but it's not going to happen over night I appreciate that. How long have you lived in Kent?

I am very close to Strood. It's my nearest town.

The 9m for the high street, if done right, will be a huge boost. The retail park could be much better though. Not sure what is being built to replace B&Q but 2 pound shops in such close proximity is a mistake I think.

TeacherBob Sat 22-Oct-16 17:21:54

Schools could be better but if the quality of resident is on the up, then things will improve

How arrogant

TSSDNCOP Sun 23-Oct-16 13:55:52

Well it's a jolly good job you've moved in to raise the tone OP!

I also live not far away. Right now it's a place you drive very, very slowly through to get to Rochester. Although the retail park is handy especially Argos.

I'm pleased that the council is investing, I think there may be an outstanding primary school there already, but what I'd really like to see is some thought to improving the dreadful traffic situation the high street presents whilst offering nothing by way of reasons to park and walk around.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now