Moving to Kent when dc needs start secondary school in 2017- are we mad?!

(16 Posts)
Wonderingaboutkent Wed 10-Aug-16 16:12:00

We really need move house as bursting at seams and Kent is grabbing our interest again.

Perhaps the Cranbrook area for the school? However we missed the boat for 11+ exam in September but as long as we move by 9th December dc can still take exam late.

Is this madness she is very bright but had no tutoring? What if she fails are the non- Grammars good?

Is there other areas of Kent we should look at? Like village life but with shops on doorstep

Just5minswithDacre Wed 10-Aug-16 16:21:47

Crackers grin

Except maybe Cranbrook. Doesn't the school also have 13+ entry?

Have you also had a peer over the border?

Wonderingaboutkent Wed 10-Aug-16 16:40:45

Ha yes! Crackes indeed!

What would she do for until she was 13 though? Had a look at private schools and a bit eye watering at 5k a term...
Do you mean East Sussex for over border? Sorry my geography is rubbish...

Just5minswithDacre Wed 10-Aug-16 17:01:02

Yes, I think there are respectable Sussex comps (proper comps) within a half hour drive of there.

Wonderingaboutkent Wed 10-Aug-16 17:14:16

I looked at a couple online briefly but they only seemed to have around 50% get 5 a-c grade for GCSE....could be outdated? It was Robertsbridge & Uplands...

Just5minswithDacre Wed 10-Aug-16 17:16:56

Well what's your fall back anyway if your DC doesn't get a Cranbrook place?

50% isn't so bad IF the ethos, atmosphere etc all seem positive.

LIZS Wed 10-Aug-16 17:20:52

You don't have to be resident in Kent to take their 11+ so you can register, if registrations are still open , and move later. Cranbrook is 13+ and you may yet find a prep school for y7 & 8.

Just5minswithDacre Wed 10-Aug-16 17:32:09

Not for much less than £5k per term though Liz

Wonderingaboutkent Wed 10-Aug-16 17:55:53

Really Lizs? When I phoned Kent council this morning they said we missed the cut off so only thing to do was move in by 9th December into Kent if I wanted to register dc for the exam.

Just5 I'm not sure what my back up
Plan is Yet... Ahh!

Wonderingaboutkent Wed 10-Aug-16 17:58:09

By way Liz I hope you are right and we can take it from where we are? Seems a lot to ask as to move house first as dc could fail it ...

LIZS Wed 10-Aug-16 18:06:51

It depends which school's test you are planning to sit, or the Kent test. Some close registrations during summer term in which case you will have missed it. Some schools award a specific number of places based on aptitude not distance, so address is less relevant. You won't necessarily know if you get a particular school until later in though, just the score. Yes 5k per term is a typical prep fee at y7.

LIZS Wed 10-Aug-16 18:09:48

Sorry looks like you have missed the deadline http://www.kent.gov.uk/education-and-children/schools/school-places/kent-test sad

NaturalBlondeYeahRight Wed 10-Aug-16 21:04:37

I've heard from friends that a place isn't guaranteed in West Kent even if you pass, such is the number of children and number of grammar school places. I'm in East Kent and don't know anyone who didn't get a place once passed. Think the Canterbury comprehensives might be OK as well.

Mamagin Thu 11-Aug-16 11:21:52

What would happen if you move to Kent and your child is aged 12, 13 or 14? Do they have to take some sort of test to see where in the educational system they slot in? What happens to army children?

Sapphiredelight Thu 11-Aug-16 17:13:32

Most of Kent except the west Kent /London border areas have grammar school places spare so if you look at East Kent or north Kent you should be ok. You can test for a place if you move into area at 12, 13,14.... I've known families that have done it.

FrazzledInCranbrook Thu 11-Aug-16 21:50:11

Oooh, Wondering - I live in Cranbrook! In fact, I'm wondering if you are the person who was posting on the Cranbrook fb chat page recently? Anyhow, Cranbrook is lovely - we moved here from London when our dcs were very little and haven't regretted it for a moment.

Cranbrook grammar is entry at 13+ at the moment. Your dc would have to go somewhere else for Y7 and Y8. This system is changing soon though and the grammar school will be starting to accept Y7s in Sept 2017 - but only offering 30 places for the new Year 7s. So competition will be fierce, I imagine! Have a look at their website for more details about how they are phasing in the Y7 entry.

The other secondary school in Cranbrook is High Weald Academy. I'm a bit biased because I work there but I'd say it has a lot to offer. Still not used to it having its very own farm which is just brilliant! Currently, some children go there for Y7 and Y8 then pass the Cranbrook test and go to the grammar school for Y9 onwards. There's also Dulwich Prep on the outskirts of Cranbrook if you can afford the fees...

My kids all go to Cranbrook Primary which I am very happy with. It's gone through Special Measures in the last few years and has come out the other side a much, much better school. Very caring, child-centred ethos but also very focused on achievement and raising attainment. Wonderful site too with playing fields and woodland (they are starting Forest School this year which will really make the most of this). Do have a look round!

Other highly rated primary schools nearby are Sissinghurst, Colliers Green and Goudhurst. Often over-subscribed, I believe. One very frustrating thing around here is that primary schools all tend to be church schools (I'm an atheist)!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now