Faversham

(12 Posts)
Favuland Wed 17-Aug-16 11:52:28

Hello, we've just had an offer accepted on a house near the station in Faversham. I now need to find a school place (in year transfer for year 3) and also childcare for my LO who will be starting in Jan 2017.

Would love to hear thoughts on central Faversham state primaries, good childminders and also generally about mums who commute to London from here. TIA! x

Hakluyt Thu 18-Aug-16 11:45:07

If you're near the station you should get Ethelbert Road. People murder their grannies to get a place there!

Hakluyt Thu 18-Aug-16 11:49:04

Oh, sorry, missed that it's an in year transfer sad.

You'll probably be offered Davington then. I'd choose it over any of the others. It's very big, but has lots of outdoor space. Very "mixed" cohort. The head isn't everyone's cup of tea but he's very dynamic.

MrsSparkles Thu 18-Aug-16 15:50:27

In town, Ethelbert Road will be your closest - v good school but heavily oversubscribed - catchment is teeny. St Mary's and Bysing Wood - I wouldn't touch personally. Don't know much about Davington, but my neighbours go there and very happy with it.

Failing that lots of village schools - Sheldwich, Luddenham, Selling all good but a bit of a drive. Eastling even more so. Quite a few childminders do school runs.

We moved here a couple of years ago and very happy. I don't commute but DH does. Happy to answer any other questions you might have!

xalyssx Thu 18-Aug-16 18:29:57

In my experience, St Mary's is awful and Davington is brilliant. One of my friends is a childminder and I can pass her details on if you like.

TheOldestCat Thu 18-Aug-16 21:49:09

Mine are both at Davington and it is fab - great teachers, lovely grounds and even a (tiny) swimming pool. Lots of the other schools are good too. Congrats on your impending move (direct message me if you like - after tomorrow I am on leave for two weeks yippee!).

(waves at other local folk) wonder if we know each other in real life?

TheOldestCat Thu 18-Aug-16 21:50:42

Also I commute to London and I know some fab childminders - happy to send you details of the latter.

Favuland Sat 20-Aug-16 08:55:32

Thank you all so much, v useful. Davington was my first choice (after Ethelbert but we're close not close enough for there so it would take a miracle!) so good to hear it's well liked. I don't drive which limits us, although there's only one day a week where I'll be dropping off/picking up so might be able to get round that. School will also prob affect which childminder we can get as I'd like one who can take both kids but I'm really grateful to hear your personal recommendations. One other thing I wondered is if there's a good community feel, do people help each other out with play dates etc? I'm sure I'm over worrying but just want my 7 year old to settle in well. I'm going to PM you guys re childminders and commuting, thanks so much!

Favuland Sat 20-Aug-16 09:53:26

Ooh also, is there a 'Faversham mums' Facebook group or anything similar?

Mrs Sparkles any tips on moving/settling in?

Xxx

MrsSparkles Thu 25-Aug-16 09:02:01

I've made most of my friends through school and clubs. It's a nice size town so you tend to run into people around a lot which is nice for making friends. Everyone's really friendly and we've certainly had lots of playdates.

If you want swimming lessons put yourself on the list now - I've been waiting a year and still nowhere near the top!

Let me know when you move - I'm fairly near the station too. It's a really nice town - we're very happy here.

Oldestcat - I wonder that too!

browneyedgirll Thu 25-Aug-16 09:20:17

Fancy finding a post on lil ole Faversham on MN smileI'm Faversham born & bred people have lots of opinions on the town but I love it. Lovely community. Agree with other posts re schools Davington would prob be your best bet. Good luck with your move.

TheOldestCat Thu 25-Aug-16 22:52:04

Waves at MrsSparkles and browneyedgirll!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now