Moving from London to Tunbridge Wells?

(1 Post)
kfw2h Mon 03-Oct-16 15:24:21

Hello, I'm hoping there are one or two of you who can help me.
We have a DS in Y3 and a DD in Reception, and we currently live in SW London where they go to one of the very large Ofsted Outstanding state schools. The plan is to do what many people around here do, which is start tutoring for Common Entrance exams in Year 5 and then apply to Alleyns/Dulwich/Emanuel/Trinity/Whitgift in Year 6. Our DS (and hopefully DD but it's too early to tell!) is reasonably switched on, and children from his school tend to get into at least one of these schools if they apply, so we're not worried about the end result--just the pressure and stress of the actual process in Year 6.
Recently DH has been dropping some heavy hints that Tunbridge Wells would be a wonderful place to live, and I agree. But researching schools has scared me somewhat. I've already resigned myself to the fact that we'd probably have to go private for primary school because most of the state primary schools are heavily oversubscribed (we would want to live within TW, not in a village). But is getting into grammar schools any less stressful than getting into a SW London independent school? Would we be jumping from the proverbial frying pan into the fire?
The only potential upside I can see is that perhaps DC would only have to take the Kent 11+ (and maybe one independent school exam as a backup) rather than do five separate entrance exams and potentially five separate interviews like he would here in London, but I might have it all wrong in terms of what the children actually have to go through if they are applying for Kent grammars.
If there is anyone out there who has experience of either one (or ideally both!) who could weigh in on the subject I'd be very grateful!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now