Local Talk

Day Nursery Recommendations in Kingston/Surbiton

(20 Posts)
Kiki84 Fri 09-Sep-11 08:29:20

Hi there
I'm going back to work in February when my little one will be 13 months old and I'm busy looking into nurseries for him. Can anyone recommend a good nursery in Kingston/Surbiton?

seriousone Fri 09-Sep-11 10:39:58

where abouts in kingston ru looking, north kingston/ or central kingston/town, the dicky birds are always given a lot of praise and there is a branch in surbiton, dolphin near the bus station also has a good repuation though it is a big nursery
hth

Treats Fri 09-Sep-11 10:42:54

There's also Kingston Day Nursery in North Kingston, which I chose in preference to Dolphin for its smaller and more intimate feel. Coombe Day Nursery next to Norbiton Station is also very good if you're up that way.

Kiki84 Sun 11-Sep-11 13:36:20

Hi there
Thanks for the advice. We live in Surbiton but my husband works in central Kingston close to the station. I work in central London so it'll be best for my little one to go to nursery in Kingston so my hubby can just drop him off at nursery on his way to work. My husband drives through Surbiton to get to Kingston so anywhere in Surbiton or Kingston would work I suppose. Dolphin Nursery would probably be ideal in terms of location as its round the corner from my husband's office, but I don't really want my baby to go to a big nursery. I'm going to attend the open days at Dolphin Nursery and Kingston Day Nursery next week and I will also visit Coombe Day Nursery and Dicky Birds to decide which one I like the best. Thanks for the advice

seriousone Sun 11-Sep-11 18:23:27

i believe there is also a newish nursery just opened in kingston(acre rd i believe which is in spitting distance of the station) kateys house? which ive heard is small and prob more homely, let us know which one you choose

Kiki84 Sun 18-Sep-11 21:09:04

So far I've seen Coombe Day Nursery, Kingston Day Nursery and Dolphin Nursery. I was quite disappointed by Kingston Day Nursery - I think its totally overrated and completely overpriced for what it is. I didn't like Dolphin Nursery at all! So far my favourite is Coombe Day Nursery. I still have to see Dickybirds, Advantage and Kateys House...

Idgiethreadgoode Sun 18-Sep-11 21:19:29

A friend of mine used Dickiebirds for several years till a year ago for her DCs and raved about it. Kids were really happy, and are really nice kids.

Kiki84 Thu 22-Sep-11 19:19:48

I've seen all the nurseries in the areas and all the ones I like are already full and have waiting lists!!! I did not realise that you need to register so early! I thought 5 months would be plenty! Freaking out!

NK67774abX1107c835482 Sat 24-Sep-11 10:39:37

Hi there!

Do not freak out. Places do come up despite waiting lists. Have you thought of nanny share? Having done nursery and nanny, if you find a good nanny, it's better and more cost-effective. Our nanny used to be the deputy manager of Coombe Day nursery and she is fantastic. She is currently looking after my 1 year old and does the school run for my 4 year old. She would quite happily look after another child. Give me a ring if you are interested.

Angela

Kiki84 Mon 26-Sep-11 10:26:51

Hi Angela. I'm putting my son on a waiting list for my favourite nursery today, I hope that it will work out. If not I will certainly give you a call to discuss nanny share. Thank you :-)

seriousone Mon 26-Sep-11 10:37:33

which one did u deciede on in end or would you rather not say in public

GermaninKingston76 Sat 01-Oct-11 22:50:55

Hiya, we moved here a couple of weeks ago and our daughter goes to Kingston Day nursery (Asquith); she seems to like it and has settled in fine, although she has been going to nursery where we lived before for 6 months so is used to it. They are open from 7:30am-6:30pm which helps if you have to travel into town. Also looked at Dolphin and Katey's house, found the first one way too big and too many bank staff, Katey's house was nice, but opens from 7:45am to 6pm only with a few weeks closed over the year which doesn't really work if you have to commute.

Kiki84 Sat 08-Oct-11 08:52:15

Thanks for all the comments, my favourite two in the end were Kateys House and Dickiebirds

squeewee Fri 21-Oct-11 09:14:29

Don't know what your timings are ie whether you would need to drop off and pick up after about 6.00. However - just as a suggestion, why not try a childminder. There are some fantastic ones around - some who would even do a certain amount of driving a child home or picking them up. My children are now both through that stage, but I have always been thankful that I chose the childminder option. Babies and toddlers should be going shopping, putting the washing in and going for walks with a single 'mum'. Sometimes I'm out and children from nurseries going out with several young adults in these child karts seating about 6 kids whilst two 20ish girls have another 4 by the hand. I'm glad my children were never in this type of grouping. Mine were both with an intelligent childminder who I knew. I knew exactly who was changing the nappy, feeding them and talking to them during the day. They were taken to toddlers groups etc and met other children. They picked up other children from school and talked to and played with older children - just like a real family. Their personal interests and tastes were catered for and they were loved as inidividuals in a family. My children still go round to see their child minder - I doubt that many children from day nurseries would say the same thing!

MrsPradz Thu 29-Dec-11 13:20:38

Message deleted by Mumsnet.

Snowballed Wed 04-Jan-12 22:36:56

Message deleted by Mumsnet.

Katie2222 Thu 12-Jan-12 22:07:08

You must have had a bad experience, my son went there and we found the nursery to be absolutely fantastic, all my friends highly rate it too! Good luck with your search.

Katie2222 Thu 01-Mar-12 18:20:40

I would recommend Coombe Day Nursery my daughter currently attends. The staff are wonderfully and caring and the nursery layout is fantastic. Since them my neighbours children attend and my freind has just moved her child there, all are absolutely thrilled. There is lots of on offer and the children come home very happy, In our view it fantastic!

KTkids Wed 12-Jun-13 19:00:44

There seems to be a lot of praise for CDN but any possible criticisms seem to have been removed?! Suspicious! Well, my own experience was not positive at all, I decided to put my daughter elsewhere and was very happy with my decision. She absolutely loves the other nursery, based in KT1 too, and is thriving. No regrets.

Ice124 Tue 13-Aug-13 19:20:25

I think anyone choosing a nursery should take the negatives with a pinch of salt. At the end of the day not every Nursery is going to be able to please everyone. At the end of the day if they are full, still running and have been for years then they must be pleasing many more parents then the odd one that they couldn't please.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now