Local Talk

Experiences of moving out of London to Kingston/ Esher/ Claygate please?

(18 Posts)
Peppaspal Mon 23-Jan-12 22:24:29

Hi Mumsnetters

We are thinking of moving out of SW London to Claygate area (but also looking at Kingston/ Esher) Can anyone tell me their experiences of similar moves, good or bad? finding the decision a very difficult one- positives and negatives for both, so any help would be greatly appreciated!

MooseCakey Wed 25-Jan-12 07:40:21

I moved from SW London to Kingston last summer and love it. It feels so different to where we were before even though it's only 7 miles away, much more open space and it's great being close to Richmond Park.

Beckyhill Fri 03-Feb-12 22:18:22

I love it round here - it's amazing. Just moved back to the area from a year living in central London (Kennington) and working at Waterloo. I'm now on maternity leave - we actually moved about 2 months before my due date! Am SO glad to be back - it's a beautiful area and wonderful for kids and lots of friendly families around. Happy to chat if you want to swap numbers.
Becky
(email becky@hillinternet.co.uk)

racingheart Fri 13-Apr-12 23:07:20

Love it round here. Best of both worlds. You have countryside on your doorstep but are only 30 mins from Waterloo. Strong, close, safe communities, villagey feel to life but not cut off from the capital.

Hann12 Sun 15-Apr-12 22:24:25

We are just in the process of moving and have shared your apprehension but also looking forward to it! I can let you know how I get on!
I'm mainly worried about meeting other mums as I have such a nice network now. I'm hoping that just turning up to things with my little girl will be enough to meet some friendly people.

I've gradually moved out from Clapham to Wimbledon and then to Kingston and we absolutely love Kingston. It's easy to get into London and we have the fantastic parks on our doorsteps - Richmond Park, Bushy Park and Hampton Court. There are great walks along the river and there is everything you need in Kingston - the shopping is great. Because of this, it does get busy during weekends and the one-way system in and out of Kingston can be a bottleneck, but if you're used to London, then I doubt it'll bother you!

titchy Tue 29-May-12 12:50:45

Go for it - this is a great area to live in. You will still be able to be part of your 'old' life - you're easily accessible still. There are community groups a-plenty here - particularly if you have children. It won't take you long to fit in!

nashter Wed 30-May-12 14:04:41

We're just about to move from SW london down to Claygate and I share your apprehension! Hoping to we'll very quickly establish a new network out in Surrey, and I'm reassured by the very quick train ride back up to clapham if I'm in need of a London fix!

If anyone reading this is just about to make the move or has just done so and would like to meet up, I'd love to meet you! Perhaps we could do a playdate somewhere?

I've a couple of kids - A 2 year old boy and a 5 month old daughter...

Hey everyone. Sorry I'm a bit late to join this thread. Yes, we moved from Wandsworth to Hampton Hill last summer and absolutely love it. Have met more people in 10 months here than 3 years in Wandsworth (and lots in Earlsfield prior to that). Especially having young kids, I think you get talking to other mums all the time. It has a real community feel here and I love having Bushy Park on our doorstep, and Kingston only 10 mins drive away. We're renting, but have just extended for another year and may look to buy in the area after that... Good luck if you do decide to move

Suziemag Wed 13-Jun-12 12:43:42

Hi nashter. We are due to move to esher (near the station) from Wandsworth in August. I'm also nervous about the upheaval and meeting new people so would be lovely to meet up. I have a 2 1/2 year boy and an 8 months old boy.

nashter Tue 19-Jun-12 13:30:44

Hi Suziemag - Fantastic - Do you want to email me on soph_hanks@yahoo.co.uk so we can arrange a meet up?

Peppaagain Thu 21-Jun-12 21:31:00

Suziemag - we moved from wimbledon to esher a few years back and suffered ALOT of apprehension - after a long time in london, i thought i was in the 'sticks' when i got here, and to be honest that view didn't change much for a few years whilst i commuted back up to london for work every day. However it all changed when we had kids (we have an almost 3 year old daughter, and 1.5 year old son) - now i really like it round here and its a great space for the kids ( just wish we could buy the house we want!!). I'm near the station too so if you ever fancy a catch up just drop me a message as I make a great cuppa :-)

cybbo Thu 21-Jun-12 21:38:46

Kingston is great but no school places

Devora Thu 21-Jun-12 21:46:05

I moved from Zone 1 to Teddington, just 15 minutes walk from Kingston.

I love, love, love it. Cosy, safe community, lovely parks, great schools (but make sure you move near enough to one).

I don't like Kingston as much as Teddington but some parts of it are really lovely.

Fuchzia Thu 21-Jun-12 21:46:39

Yes schools are tricky there are at number of excellent ones but a vast number of children wanting to go to them. Kingston council have lots of info about admissions so you would do well to research the likelihood of getting a place wherever you plan to live.

Other than schools it's great. Lovely parks great shopping strong sense of community. I wouldn't live anywhere else in London.

londonlivvy Wed 08-Aug-12 12:29:45

Hi everyone (and particularly Nashter as fellow Claygate person), we are moving to Claygate from Clapham in two weeks' time and I'm hugely looking forward to the quiet and proximity of greenery.

I'm a bit nervous though because we're leaving friends / bars / restaurants behind for an unknown adventure. I'm due Nov 1st with our first so any tips on mother & baby groups etc would be very welcome. We're doing NCT so hopefully that'll be a good start.

beauchamp Thu 17-Jan-13 15:08:20

Hello,
I would be really interested to hear of young families living in North Kingston. We are looking at moving from Shepherds Bush where I have a great community of baby friends. Did anyone find it easy to meet new people in Kingston and, if so, how/ where? I have a lovely one yr old and only work 2 days/week at the moment so am keen to meet some new people. Does anyone go to St Lukes and to the church primary/ Latchmere Primary? Are there any convenience stores in north Kingston or cafes or do you have to go to Richmond/Kingston for groceries? Many, many thanks ladies!

StuartForrest Thu 17-Jan-13 17:08:52

We moved out here (Kingston) from Balham 8 years ago, long before we had kids. It's a great area to live, and a wonderful place to bring up kids.

My wife has been able to meet loads of young mums through the various baby groups around here - in North Kingston there's a good meet every Friday for <1 at St Paul's Church, and one on Wednesdays for slightly older children. She goes to Rhyme Time on a Monday at the Rose Theatre, and there are loads of other groups that you could go to. Alternatively if you're a gym goer the pool and cafe a Virgin Active Sury Basin (above Sainsburys on the Richmond Road) is a good place to go, particularly at the weekend - there's a good soft play area and Costa for after the pool.

North Kingston is basically Nappy Valley - have no fear about coming across people in the same boat as you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now