Local Talk

Surbiton or Guildford

(10 Posts)
MovingtoSurrey Sat 13-Apr-13 22:29:22

Hi

We are planning to move as DD will be starting school next year, want to move some where closer to London where we have good schools, as DH works in London. We can go private if we don't get a decent state school for DD. We have zeroed in on Guildford or Surbiton as 2 places that suit us. I can find a local job there(as there are some software companies there) DH can get fast train to Waterloo and both these places have decent schools.

We would like to live close to train station and safe area, any suggestions, our budget is 3.5k.

So confused which one is a better option for us. Can anyone please suggest.

Thanks

LoftyAndWendy Sun 14-Apr-13 19:32:02

How many bedrooms do you want?

MovingtoSurrey Sun 14-Apr-13 20:31:11

We are looking for 2 bed , not too particular about garden but we want 2 toilets.

Snowgirl1 Thu 18-Apr-13 22:58:25

Hi, can't comment on schools in Surbiton but I'd suggest most of Surbiton is pretty safe. Surbiton's a nice area, close to the river - the only thing I'd say is that your DH probably won't get a seat on the train at Surbiton.

MovingtoSurrey Sat 20-Apr-13 22:55:22

Thanks Snowgirl1. I know DH won't get a seat smile How's shopping in Surbiton.

Sybilunrest Tue 23-Apr-13 17:11:43

Surbiton shopping- some nice Indy coffee shops and restaurants. A couple of cute gift shops, an m&s food, a waitrose, sainsburys, a very sweet tiny but excellent Indy bookshop. For clothes etc Kingston is a very short hop and IMHO much better than schlepping it to London. Oh and a few quirky charity shops!

MovingtoSurrey Wed 24-Apr-13 17:14:40

Was just checking about Schools in Surbiton. Are the good schools usually over subscribed, and you need to live really close to school if you want a place.

LoftyAndWendy Wed 24-Apr-13 20:54:10

On the surrey county council website you can see furthest distance admitted for each school.

Bekabeech Wed 24-Apr-13 21:10:11

Guildford is pretty safe. If you take the slw line you can guarantee a seat. Lots of shops, even areas with shops (Burpham, Merrow, Stoughton).
They are enlarging some schools to provide more places. Most schools are pretty good.

hypnokate Tue 30-Apr-13 11:58:11

Re. Surbiton - the good schools are usually oversubscribed but there are loads of great state primaries.
Your best bet is to check last year's allocation of places on the Kingston borough schools website as this will give you a good idea of how likely you are to get a place on distance alone. If you're applying to a church school you would need to be a regular churchgoer for a set period of time before application in order to guarantee a place (this varies from school to school).
Surbiton is lovely, prices are pretty high for family homes (fast train to London/good schools)but you get far more for your money towards Tolworth. Have a look at the Douglas Road area, close to Tolworth Infants and St matthews, both great schools x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now