Local Talk

Where are the Good/Bad areas in Kingston?

(10 Posts)
bluemango Fri 05-Feb-10 22:53:15

We're thinking of moving to Kingston (from Wimbledon). I think we need to be near the station as we don't have a car and both commute but I'm wondering where we should be looking as I keep hearing that we should avoid the 'bad parts'??

Can anyone give me a quick run down of what different areas are like, especially with two very young ones (so thinking about parks/primaries/play centres etc).

TIA! x

Cyb Fri 05-Feb-10 23:01:42

You have a choice of Kingston or Norbiton station.

There aren't that many bad parts. Cambridge estate is not great, or surrounding roads.

Loads of parks, Richmond of course, and smaller playgrounds at Latchmere, Dysart. if you want to be near the stations avoid Ham, too far to walk but could be bused

MsDav Tue 23-Feb-10 13:59:40

I would consider the roads off Richmond Road as far up as Latchmere Road, easily walkable to the train station and with Latchmere and Fern Hill primary schools nearby.

pumperspumpkin Wed 03-Mar-10 13:58:42

If you both need to commute have you thought about Surbiton instead as it's on the mainline?

whats your budget/ type of thing you're after? i live in surbiton and its very nice, good train, greenery etc etc and walkable into kingston by the river.

LondonMathsMum Mon 02-Aug-10 10:20:36

Surbiton train station has a better and faster service to Waterloo. Some good schools too.

Fuchzia Mon 02-Aug-10 10:31:16

Anything north of the town center is generally good with excellent schools and house prices to match. Areas surrounding the Cambridge estate considered 'bad'. Good to live within walking distance of norbiton station stillcentral Kingston but zone 5 rather than zone 6 and therefore cheaper.

ojh2kent Thu 19-Sep-13 17:23:26

Hey all. apparently im waking up a dormant thread, exciting. I was hoping someone could help...

My gf and i are planning to buy our first house and are considering surbiton or kingston. I googled both and kingston came up on 'chav towns', what are peoples view on this? true or false?
thanks!!!

kingstoncherry Sat 28-Sep-13 15:08:26

Look no further than this thread to read all about Kingston!

www.mumsnet.com/mnlocal/reasons-to-live-in-kingston-upon-thames

smile

outnumbered13 Thu 03-Oct-13 17:22:10

Chav towns??! Definitely not! Kingston is a brilliant area, has all the shopping you need, great restaurants, close to lots of open spaces - Richmond Park, Wimbledon Common and Bushey Park. Surbiton is really nice, New Malden is also a great place to live. There are NCT coffee mornings each week in Surbiton, NM & Kingston if you have an under 1, loads of children's activities and an amazing amount of schools in the top 100! I'm New Malden/Coombe myself and love the fact I'm close to London but get the green space and gardens and lots of lovely mummies to meet up with when on mat leave. Trains to London are good - Raynes Park is another useful station and it's one stop to Wimbledon where you have tube.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now