Local Talk

Nurseries / Nannies

(10 Posts)
Cescalise Mon 23-May-11 14:19:56

Hello. I am looking for a good Nanny and/or nursery for my 7 month old. Does anyone have any recommendations in the Huddersfield area?

Thanks all.

fatzak Sat 04-Jun-11 14:55:54

Where abouts in Huddersfield are you? We are over in the HD8 area, but have many friends who use nurseries in the HD2/HD3 area.

BelleDameSansMerci Sat 04-Jun-11 15:00:11

I use the Mill Cottage Montessori here. It's a great nursery and although there is a waiting list for older children, you may be able to get a place for your little one. My DD started when she was 4 months old and she was loved and treasured (and still is) by the staff in the baby room. I'd really recommend it.

BelleDameSansMerci Sat 04-Jun-11 15:00:43

Sorry, should have said, she's 3.8 now and still goes there. smile

fatzak Sun 05-Jun-11 14:09:14

Out of interest Belledame, will you keep your DD there when she reaches school age? We've often wondered if DS1 would have benefited from Montessori as he's never really fitted in at school and maybe a different kind of environment would have been better for him.

BelleDameSansMerci Sun 05-Jun-11 19:01:08

I've considered it, fatzak, there are a couple of reasons why I don't think I will.

Firstly, the school is very caring and nurturing and that's been ideal for her (and still is) but, at some point, she will need to venture into a new and unfamiliar world. I think it will be easier for her to approach this with other children her age, starting primary school at the same time rather than waiting until she is older. I have really, really carefully considered this because I can be really PFB, etc, and would happily keep her in cotton wool for her whole life but that wouldn't be good for her.

Secondly, although I think my DD is quite bright (don't we all?), I also think she has a tendency to do as little as possible (I know where she gets that from!) and I don't think the Montessori environment will provide the kind of push/competition that will encourage her to excel. To be fair, that's based on a feeling rather than any actual evidence.

It's so hard to know what to do for the best.

Cescalise Tue 07-Jun-11 15:03:21

Hi, sorry for late response. We are in HD8. Currently looking at Greyfell Academy and The Academy @ Almondbury. Will check the Montessori out, thank you for the suggestion.

fatzak Tue 07-Jun-11 18:09:42

We looked at Greyfell and loved it but it was just a little too far out of our way. DS2 ended up at Daisychain in Kirkburton - we were very happy with it although i would have like to have seen a bit more preparation for school in the lines of more phonics work etc( then again they may have done lots but DS2 wouldn't have got on with it no doubt!) I've heard good things about Lanefields in Skelmanthorpe too. There aren't that many round here are there?

Cescalise Wed 08-Jun-11 10:31:00

Yes, it is a little far out of the way, it will mean a 30 minute round trip for us twice a day but we have decided to go for it and see how it goes. Montessori would just be too far out of our way - the traffic round there would make it a very long day for us. I didn't even know about Daisychain and I thought I'd done my research well! Kirkburton would have been much closer for us too. May have a look just in case the journey proves too much for us, thank you.

No, there aren't that many good nurseries, surprising in a place the size of Huddersfield. Ideally we really wanted a Nanny but can not find one but I'm hoping he'll enjoy Nursery. He's a lively little fella so I'm telling myself that Nursery is the better option as he'll get more stimulation there.

Abbicob Wed 15-Jun-11 12:45:07

My little girl is at Hawthorns in Skelmanthorp and loves it. She was 2 recently and has been there since she was 9 mths old. Never had a problem, all the staff are lovely and treat her like one of their own.

It makes it so much easier for me to come to work knowing she is happy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now