Local Talk

Coral Day Nursery in Waterloo

(12 Posts)

Does anyone have their child at Coral? The past couple of days have been a mystery to me. Do get in touch if you know what has happened. I'd love to know other parents there but have no phone numbers and no way of getting in touch with anyone!

bump

bluecat22 Mon 20-Feb-12 13:22:50

Hi,
My kids used to go there but I'm just as much in the dark as you. I only know what the carers told us on Wednesday evening. Do post here if you find out anything. I'm quite curious although I've already placed my children in a different nursery, I couldn't afford to wait for them to sort out their problems

Thanks for your reply; I will certainly update here. I've found an alternative arrangement too, but it's not ideal. Where have you gone for?

Thanks for the PMs.

I've just had a call from Fafa Long who says it needs a new boiler and should be open again in 2 weeks .... (if it has any customers left)

It suits me so well and is so much cheaper than the other options I'm looking at, that I am hoping it does manage to open again. I feel it's a tall order though.

Since Fafa called me I've heard nothing. And DD is now happy with her new childminder, so that's that with Coral for us. Has anyone had any luck getting any money out of them?

Powderqueen Sun 11-Mar-12 20:41:40

Hi parents of coral day nursery, it seems u all have left in the dark about what has happen to the nursery,I'm not to sure if u all are aware but the longes went on holiday and the nursery was left if no heating for over 3 weeks! On the 15 th feb 2012 a Lambeth and ofsted Inspecter came to the nursery and they asked to speak to the deputy but there has been NO deputy for nearly 2 years so therefore myself And the other members of staff were left with no deputy and no heating! The Inspecters found loads of dangerous hazards throughout the building therefore due to the nursery breaching the welfare requirements of health and safety the local authority informed ofsted of there concerns and the nursery had to be shut until further notice, bearing in mind management were aware that they left us with no heating while they were away for 3 weeks soaking up the sun while ur children were frezzing cold! Due to this myself and the rest of the staff members have all found other jobs! I would not advise any parent to ever put their child/children in coral day nursery because all the management care about is money they do not care about the welfare of any child in there care. Working at this nursery has been the worst place I have ever worked in! so please please take ur children out and put them in a place that is warm,safe and loving because coral day nursery is none of them! hope you all find a great nursery because all of the children that went there deserve the best!

bluecat22 Fri 16-Mar-12 14:20:31

No, I haven't received any refund either. I've sent them a letter today asking for our money, if I don't hear anything within a week I'll start small claims proceedings against them. I believe it's the only way to get our money back. If they are still around that is. My kids are very happy in their new nursery and seeing how much better they are doing in general makes me feel guilty for putting them in Coral in the first place.

JoA3 Tue 20-Mar-12 13:17:48

Thanks Powderqueen for posting!! So good to finally have an explanation of what happened at Coral. Blimey, this is not good. I'm feeling guilty for putting my daughter in Coral too, even though she's only been there a few months. She's started at a childminder today so hopefully will do well there.

I agree that the management at Coral is awful, the lack of contact and explanation from them has been shocking. I got a different story every time I managed to contact them (by bombarding with emails, calls and going to the nursery). Ofsted and the LA couldn't tell me much because of data protection so I've been thinking all sorts of things! I'm glad the nursery staff have found new jobs as I do feel that they at least did care very much for the children and were always polite to me. My daughter's dad is due to pick up a cheque today for the money they owe us...I hope it clears.

boohoohoo Tue 20-Mar-12 13:44:16

I hope this couple will not be allowed to open up another nursery, I sent my daughter there when they first opened about 14 years ago (oh no I dont bear a grudge! grin The Longs struggled with the financial side, losing payments that I made on a regular basis, even trying to argue against bank statements showing that they had received the money, Mr Long came around to my house at 10`o'clock at night demanded money that was not owed to him, coming back early the next morning to apologise. The final straw was when I picked my daughter up one day Mrs Long had put a plastic adults shower cap on my daughter saying that she had nits, a member of staff told me that the shower cap had been put on my daughter as soon as I had left the building, it was a very hot summers day and my poor daughters head was soaked in sweat when I picked her up, that was the last day that I allowed my daughter to go there.

However, very important, the nursery staff were absolutely lovely and this was very early days, Im suprised that the nursey lasted so long to be honest.

Thanks for the updates. Fafa Long has told me we'll get a refund but I await further evidence .... Powderqueen, I am glad to hear the staff have got jobs now, they all deserve it and the whole thing must have been very destabilising and upsetting for them. Please pass on my best wishes.

Proudtobeamum Wed 25-Jul-12 00:04:33

My child has attended coral since 8 months old almost 3 now I couldn't be happier with the care and education given. Clearly standing out educationally among peers and progress far ahead of those at the same level in other social groups. Although the nursery did close in feb I was kept fully informed of the happenings and am sooooo relieved they reopened with a great new look as I couldn't imagine my child any were else thankfully things have picked up there and my child is back and happily settled with great new staff and as always friendly managers. I would most definitely recommend coral and will most certainly be staying put.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now