Local Talk

Moving to clapham area

(7 Posts)
jenwill Mon 19-Mar-12 10:50:45

hi,

I have a 6 month old daughter and may be moving to the clapham area. I moved to a new area just before my daughter was born and it was very tricky to find somewhere as we didn't know the area and have ended up somewhere we are not entirely happy. The only requirements are that my husband can get to the tube easily so he can get to work, it's close to a park (my daughter likes the swings) and there are some good baby groups where I can meet some other mums/make friends. Any advise on which areas/streets are nice, family friendly and others which are to be avoided would be great and help our search a lot.

smile

Pretty much the whole of Clapham is mummysville.

you will be fine unless you are a bit antisocial like me

plutocrap Tue 24-Apr-12 20:19:23

We have the same story, except DD is 4.5m. I'll PM you, in case we are in the same place now, and of course, in case we move there, too!

If you can afford to be near to Northcote Rd you will be sorted for mummy type activities, nice cafes, shops and it's between Wandsworth and Clapham Commons. V expensive. Walking distance to either Clapham South (northern line) or Clapham Junction (mainline trains to Waterloo) depending if you are north or south end.

All the roads that run off Northcote Rd are residential and nice. If you google map it you'll see.

Otherwise have a look at Abbeville village (Abbeville Rd area - nr to Clapham Sth) or Clapham Old Town, which is near Clapham Common tube station.

Avoid Clapham North or anything too close to Clapham High St. V noisy and a bit down at heel.

The world is your osyster is you are moving there

We are Wandsworth common and know lots of people in that area.

It's posh mummysville, so dig out your scarves and wallet smile

plutocrap Thu 26-Apr-12 14:59:07

I may go to see it this week, but we are cooling on it, tbh. It was only really a momentary idea of DH's, as he was so fed up with the cost of housing where we live now (which isn't even that swish!)....

claritita Tue 08-May-12 11:03:40

Come to Herne Hill! It's close to Clapham, has wonderful park (Brockwell), housing is much cheaper. It is very family-orientated, but not in a Clapham way. We're not as rich! Mainly freelancers, quite arty/media. And great schools.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now