Local Talk

Anyone go to the new Dunraven Infants Open Evening?

(19 Posts)
BrixtonMortar Thu 22-Nov-12 19:10:51

I'm wondering if anyone is thinking of applying to the new primary school whihc is part of Dunraven? I have heard it will be an 'all thorugh school' so primary school children will have the option to go into the secondary school. I only just heard about it - any idea of how it will compare with other local schools?

TribeCalledQuest Thu 22-Nov-12 20:58:19

I'd be interested to see if anybody else managed to make it too! I literally just found out it was today and am seriously struggling with this school as an option. On paper it sounds good, especially with the automatic entrance into the 'v good' secondary, but it is a major concern that until my son reaches secondary he will be one of the oldest in the school!!!

I'd be interested to here other peoples thoughts on this one....

TribeCalledQuest Thu 22-Nov-12 20:59:16

Hear!

BrixtonMortar Fri 23-Nov-12 10:00:51

Which other schools would you be likely to get a place at, Tribe?

TribeCalledQuest Fri 23-Nov-12 16:41:19

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TribeCalledQuest Fri 23-Nov-12 16:41:48

What are your choices and what are you looking for?

BrixtonMortar Fri 23-Nov-12 17:14:08

I'm not doing a primary application this year, but live in possible reach of Hitherfield, Streatham Wells and Dunraven. And Fenstanton, probably. Out of those my order would be S Wells, Dunraven, Hitherfield, Fenstanton (or whatever it is called now). And maybe the middle 2 swapped round.

I thought Sunnyhill was quite good? I love their pirate climbing frame, but don't know much about the school, really.

Interesting about always being the oldest. I think Dunraven will probably be a good primary, I wonder how they will have enough playground space for a two-form entry school within what was already a tight site for the secondary.

The Head will be the head of Dunraven, and he seems excellent. It will be really important for them to be seen to be succeeding with a primary school, so I can't see them allowing children to under-achieve. And since all the school infrastructure will be in place, but only a small number of pupils, it could be highly beneficial to be the vanguard year in a new school. I think schools are much better now at addressing the full range of children in a school and not letting bright children slip through the net. They can't afford to - too many points in the league table depend on it!! I know most primaries employ a table system, and plenty of TAs so that chidren can work at different levels, and S Wells, for example, runs enrichment classes.

It's very tricky - you have to put down one school you stand a chance of getting into otherwise you could get some place in the N of the borough. sad

Streathammumof2 Thu 16-May-13 19:51:33

I know this is an old post but am disapointed that Crown lane has been mentioned as if it is a bad school. Well actually it's not it's brilliant has a great ofsted and the facilities as well as the curriculum is fantastic. Why do you think it's rubbish because it's multicultural? and not so middle class? Well there are middle class children as well as children from all different back grounds.

So please don't bad mouth a school you know nothing about and from what I hear Sunnyhill road is good as well. Some people just think they are entitled.

End of rant.

TribeCalledQuest Thu 16-May-13 23:16:15

I'm not middle class or white. Comments on Crown Lane and Sunnyhill are entirely to do with grades! I have two boys and the issue of boys failing is no secret which is why I have been so concerned with the process. I agree that the school selection process is entitled for more parents than it should be and in honesty, if I were as you assumed, I wouldn't actually care so much! Most bright children will do well anywhere but quite often the very brightest are labelled or don't have the correct school support which I hope is minimised when looking at a school according to grades amongst other factors.

One of my boys does his 15 hours in Sunnyhill Nursery so I am there daily.

I know two young women who went to crown Lane, plus one teaching assistant. With the greatest respect, none of them, including the latter fill me with any form of reassurance.

BTW Elm Wood would have been my ideal choice if I lived in catchment and there are not many (if any) ethnically and class divided schools in Streatham. Dulwich yes!

Streathammumof2 Fri 17-May-13 10:38:46

Yes went to Crown Lane are they there anymore?

Streathammumof2 Fri 17-May-13 10:42:54

Yes went to Crown Lane are they there anymore? The children are tiered into groups of ability so my daughter who is bright is in the top set with the other bright children and do work according to their needs.

If you read there ofsted they have a good rating with outstanding aspects. If you look at other schools such as Julians their ofsted is only good so no better than Crown Lane just have a better reputation.

It just makes me mad.

TribeCalledQuest Fri 17-May-13 11:26:45

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TribeCalledQuest Fri 17-May-13 11:31:10

Also I do not subscribe to almost name brand schooling for one minute which I think Julians has! Looking at thier grades and ofsted they do wing it on cliqey parents which I don't understand. It doesn't mean it's not a good school but it does seem to stand above other good schools because of it's name!

Streathammumof2 Fri 17-May-13 11:39:45

Thats ok Tribe. I just feel like I have to stand up for Crown lane because it does get bad press for their past but it has been totally turned around with a new headmaster and needs to be supported. Julians is very much brand schooling and smug. My friend mentioned that parents of Julians know crown lane is a good school but just can't send their children there because of it's past reputation very sad.

TribeCalledQuest Fri 17-May-13 13:28:10

There's a lot of that! It seems silly to send your child to school on it's name rather than it's merits, especially when they'll be there for 7 years but parenting is a minefield so each to thier own!

Ps: If your in the village (saw the meetup thread) I'm on the next road!

Streathammumof2 Fri 17-May-13 15:10:23

You on Wellfield? Oh god I sound like a complete nasty bitch in my previous post I'm not I promise smile

TribeCalledQuest Fri 17-May-13 16:13:15

Ha ha no you don't, your defending something you know about that's all! Reading back I did sound pretty ignorant which I pride myself on not being, lol! I dish it out a lot worse when my backs up, were mothers it's what we do wink

Streathammumof2 Fri 17-May-13 16:22:09

You on Wellfield? Oh god I sound like a complete nasty bitch in my previous post I'm not I promise smile

BrixtonMortar Tue 21-May-13 12:29:23

StreathamMummy - be careful what you wish for wink.

Lots of really good schools in the area, in Lambeth and Southwark, and once someone realises they are fab all the parents move in to the area, take temporary rentals, compete for places, and before you know it, local people on the other side of the road can't get a place!

Crown Lane doing really well? Shhhh!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now