Local Talk

Durand Academy in Lambeth - what's it really like?

(7 Posts)
lambeth007 Tue 15-Jan-13 19:13:34

hi there

Durand Academy is the biggest primary school in Lambeth. I've looked around the school but I still can't get a 'feel' for whether or not it would be right for our little ones. (It's on Hackford Road, Stockwell/Oval area in SW9).

Does anyone have any first hand experience of Durand Academy? What do you like best/least?

Or if you don't have any first hand experience have you heard anything good or bad about the school from other local mums?

Would you send your DS or DD's to Durand (or any other Academy school)? If so why or if not, why not?!

Any advice would be so much appreciated ! Thank you x

balhammummy Mon 21-Jan-13 16:19:57

No! I used to work there and it's truly awful! There have been loads of court cases against the school & the treatment of children and parents is horrendous. Google NUT Durand to read more!

CarveHerNameWithPride Sun 27-Jan-13 13:16:03

Realistically you can't rule out Academy schools on principle - it's the way things are going, so you have to take them case by case.

A mate's DC is there - she's content but not delighted by it.

lambeth007 Wed 30-Jan-13 19:22:43

hi there

Thanks both for taking the time to comment.

Balhammummy - I've googled NUT Durand have found an article about an alleged lack of support for new teachers and suggesting a high turnover of teaching staff. Is that what you were referring to or are there any other problems there?

many thanks - very useful to know all this.

tinastreasuretots Wed 13-Mar-13 13:41:46

All my kids have and still do go to this school it has brilliant teaching and ethics and my kids have (meaning the older ones ) and still are (the younger ones) doing great infact over their expected age!

BrixtonMortar Mon 22-Apr-13 18:30:03

Pupils do very well indeed there, though I have heard that life is not great for teachers.

Look at this deeply shocking racist reaction to the boarding school here

BrixtonMortar Thu 25-Apr-13 13:03:51

I googled as suggested and found this which is very positive.

Parents I know are happy with the school smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now