Primary schools in Stockwell

(7 Posts)
OccyT Sun 22-May-16 11:27:18

Hi all,

I'm trying to do a bit of research in preparation for applying to primary school for my son. We are in the Clapham North /Stockwell area so our most local schools are Clapham Manor,Larkhall Park, Allen Edwards and Stockwell. I don't think we stand a chance with Clapham Manor, so I am trying to be open minded and so I wondered what people's experiences of these other schools are?

Many thanks!

CarveHerNameWithPride Sun 22-May-16 15:01:05

My DC were at Stockwell Primary until last year, and we still have a few mates with DC there. There were some bad points - a spectacularly out of her depth year 2 teacher and a succession of supply teachers of variable quality in year 6 which led to some catastrophic school SATS results and the Requires Improvement OFSTED 3 years ago. But actually we were basically happy with the school. One of my DC sailed through every 11+ exam they took, and is thriving in a very selective secondary school. My other DC eventually recieved a lot of support from the school for their SEN which got them a full statement and the all-important flexibility of approach - now thriving in mainstream secondary with suitable support.

None of my mates are considering removing their DC AFAIK - like us they're basically happy with the school.

If it's the school you get into them I think your DC will be just fine (actually I think that's the case with almost all London primary schools - almost all of them are doing a perfectly satisfactory job, especially for DC who come from a supportive and literate home).

OccyT Sun 22-May-16 16:54:38

Carvehernamewithpride,

Thank you for your reply. That's very helpful and also reassuring . From what I can see, there have been quite a few leadership changes at Stockwell over the last year, which seems to have had a positive impact on results. I really need to go a view the schools to get a 'feel' for them. I agree with what you say about supportive parents who see that learning doesn't stop at school, and I hope that should help my son no matter which school he attends smile. I am pleased to here that your dc are doing so well, very positive!

OccyT Sun 22-May-16 16:55:26

* hear

southfacingpuddles Mon 27-Jun-16 11:58:16

Hi,
I'm also local and have two primary age kids. Ours go to Heathbrook (it's on St Rule Street, off Wandsworth Rd). It's actually in Lambeth but on the border with Wandsworth, so most of the kids come from Stockwell/Clapham North direction. For some reason it's really easy to miss it - it's behind a garage near Silverthorne Road and you don't easily see it.

Not only is it a really lovely school with a warm community and a huge emphasis on outdoor learning, art and music, it's also just got a 'good' from Ofsted after a downgrade a few years ago, and there's a real sense that it's on the up. It's also got a massive playground, and a wildlife garden with a pond and lots of raised beds and big trees.

I'd definitely go and have a look - the head is very engaged and takes tours around the school. He knows all the kids really well, and it really does have a nice atmosphere.

Although not that relevant now (it was in 2013) our son actually started reception at Stockwell Primary after we missed out on a place at Herbert Morrison, but during the first year (which was the year Stockwell was in a bit of a tailspin after Ofsted laid into them), we belatedly heard about and moved him to Heathbrook which despite having the same Ofsted rating at the time was a very different place. We haven't regretted it once.

Hope that's useful!

OccyT Mon 27-Jun-16 20:19:10

Southfacingpuddles,

Thank you for that.
It's really funny you should mention Heathbrook as I suddenly remembered my cousin attended there many years back and that it is the local area.

Yes, I am hoping to see it soon. It sounds very positive. I like the emphasis on the arts/ outdoor learning.

I am pleased to hear how well your son is getting on there.

claphamuser Fri 22-Jul-16 11:30:42

We had a brief tour by the head recently, as we are applying for reception places this autumn (2016). I have to say that we were very impressed by him - young, energetic and very bright - and I think his own kids go to the school. It gave the sense that this was a school that aspirational parents in the area would definitely want to apply to.

The outdoor space was outstanding and a lot better than a couple of the other schools in the area.

The results are greatly improved, and the recent OFSTED was very excellent.

Obviously we need to look around a bunch of them to see what the 'feel' is but we were very pleased to see that Heathbrook was named one of the 100 most improved schools in the country.

I have to say that 3-4 years ago we wouldn't have bothered looking, as the results were poor, and there had been some leadership instability, but a number of local parents we know rave about the place so it will definitely be one at the top of our list to look around in the autumn.

Not sure if this helps either

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now