herne hill schools

(6 Posts)
peekaboom Thu 04-Aug-16 10:40:54

Moving to the area. I have a flat with a great location near the rail and Brockwell Park. Very excited! I'm an American coming with a 7.5 y.o. DS for the first time to live in the UK for a job - we'll have to do an in-year admission as we're arriving in 1-2 weeks and he'll be entering Year 3. The flat puts us in the catchment mostly for Lambeth schools but a few in Southwark. I've done my research about the schools in the area but there is only so much I can get off the internet and as DS will be waiting for a spot and I will only have so much time to do school visits with a new FT job, I'm wondering what the word on the ground is about what might be simply some "good" schools in the area that he might have a snowball's chance in hell of entering. Many thanks for the input!

SoutheastPeckish Thu 04-Aug-16 13:40:15

at that age there could easily be places in the most desirable schools in the area - people do tend to move around at that age. I have moved a child in year 1 (5-6 years old) to an 'outstanding' school from well outside the normal catchment area. You need to do an 'in-year' application via the local council authority (Southwark, Lambeth), and the school's normal admissions criteria will be applied to whoever is on the waiting list.

There may be tens of kids ahead of you on a list like that but you still stand a chance as people tend not to take up those places as their child may be settled somewhere else. You might need to prod the school itself to contact whoever is on their list - they have to go through the 'no thanks' before they get to you.

Call the schools and they should know what their list is like for year three. Offices may be open - especially nearer term time. Start with your preffered school of course - can't advise on that. There is Judith Kerr which looks interesting

CarveHerNameWithPride Thu 04-Aug-16 17:19:08

One big question is religion. Do you attend any church regularly? It may be baffling to an American (and as an atheist it infuriates me) but it can make a big difference to school admissions priority. Thinking here specifically of St Jude's Church of England School, which a mate of mine was very happy with.

BrixtonMortar Thu 04-Aug-16 19:42:43

Just put your name down for every school within reach that you think looks acceptable! On both Lambeth and Southwark lists.

Over the other side of the park Sudbourne is considered a top school, Hillmead in central Brixton has Outstanding status, St Jude's is popular, and if they have a place, you can still get in without fulfilling the faith criteria. Bessemer in Southwark is popular and easier to get into as it is a big school - and you may have similar luck with Rosendale, (Lambeth) a very popular school. You could go on the list for Dulwich Hamlet, too.

Welcome to Lambeth, near Brockwell Park is a great place to live - hope you enjoy it!

peekaboom Fri 05-Aug-16 08:36:41

Thanks everyone for the advice. I really can't wait to join you!

peekaboom Sun 14-Aug-16 21:55:40

One more question re strategy for the application - I imagine ordering counts: I was told by the Council that there is one school that has an opening that could be a nice option. Should I put the outstanding schools at the top of the list anyway although likely oversubscribed - with the idea that there might be a spot there (per SoutheastPeckish suggestion)- and then the school with the likely open spot at/toward the bottom? I guess it depends upon how long I want to wait? Any insight appreciated...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now