NCT classes - advice!

(5 Posts)
alicealiceph Fri 26-Aug-16 15:45:21

Hi,

Has anybody done either the Immanuel and St Andrews or the Woodlands NCT classes in Streatham? I would really appreciate hearing how you found them as have heard quite mixed comments and trying to decide whether or we need to do in addition to the NHS midwife led classes offered... Any help/advice greatly appreciated.

badger1977uk Fri 26-Aug-16 20:26:36

Are you a member of Streatham mums network on Facebook? Its huge and it is really good for local recommendations. I'd post on there to get a better response.
Good luck for your pregnancy!

LuluInLambeth Sat 27-Aug-16 00:08:35

I did the Immanuel classes, but several years ago. They were great for meeting people and, although we're the only family still living in London, we're still in touch with them all. Our tutor, though, was not great. She was very much the old NCT stereotype of you don't need pain relief, you won't need a Caesarean if you just get your breathing right, which (I realised on the day) left us badly prepared when things didn't go in accordance with the birth plan. I rather hope she's retired now.

emsp8 Mon 29-Aug-16 17:01:02

I've just done the class at the Woodlawns Centre and would definitely recommend it. The facilitator was great and met a good bunch of people. We also did the NHS classes before NCT, and found both very helpful. NCT had more advice on breathing techniques and positions etc than NHS, and both covered the same things, but there's no harm in learning things twice! The main benefit of the NCT classes is meeting other parents living in Streatham, you don't necessarily learn anything that different.

alicealiceph Tue 30-Aug-16 09:59:06

Thanks for the feedback - it's really useful to hear from people who have done it all before smile!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now