Local Talk

Moving to Lancaster - primary schools?

(9 Posts)
ellefdo Tue 30-Aug-11 23:14:36

Hi, I am moving in to Lancaster with a four year old and have to send him in to reception classes in September. Clueless about the whole process of schooling - please can anyone advise about the good schools to send a four year old? I can settle down within about half an hours driving distance to Lancaster university, so trying to choose an area with the best schools - government or private. Any help much appreciated - thanks!

Flumptious Wed 31-Aug-11 09:25:41

Hi Ellefdo

I'm not much use but I was you last year. I'm in Lancaster now and dd is in a very good school we're all happy with, but it's too far away for the university.

I went on the goverment websites tbh as I had no idea. I think you should have a good choice down that way though. Maybe speak to other parents at the university?

nenevomito Wed 31-Aug-11 22:29:28

If you are looking for a school close to the Uni there is Ellel St Johns's school in Galgate which is about 5-10 mins walk away (depending on which end of the campus you are on). They have a mix there of local children and children whose families work or study at the Uni.

There are a number of other schools within 30 mins - Quernmore Primary School is about 15 mins drive away and is rated Outstanding by OFSTEAD.

Moorside CP School and St. Pauls Scotforth are also South Lancaster, but can be oversubscribed. Dallas Road is in the town, but is also rated Outstanding.

Admission to school in most cases is based on where you live.

To apply for schools you need to go through the local governement website. school admissions link

Forton school is good, as is Cockerham school or any of the primary schools in Garstang.

shambers Thu 06-Oct-11 20:00:44

Would love to know how you get on ELlefdo as we are hoping to move to LAncaster too.

booksinbed Thu 04-Oct-12 17:07:54

quernmore - fab !!!!!

latteandgingersnap Sat 17-Nov-12 11:03:59

I would definitely consider a village school. Ellel St John's, Forton, or Quernmore are all within easy reach. Experiences of friends' children at Forton are excellent. We live in Lancaster but chose to drive out to a village school (north of Lancaster) and best thing we ever did.

ameliafox123 Mon 19-Nov-12 12:25:20

Hi,
I believe Moor side primary school is a good option for you.

DisplacedDiva Thu 29-Nov-12 13:13:37

I moved here 7 years ago. Start applying as soon as...found some schools (Dallas Rd, Moorside) strung you along then at last minute said no, which was hard with no family support network in place. My DD went to Christchurch, which she absolutely loved, it was a brilliant school.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now