Local Talk

Mums n' Babies knitting group, Headingley

(2 Posts)
EveT Mon 02-Jan-12 10:16:42

Happy New Year everyone! The mums n' babies knitting group starts again this Wednesday at 1.30pm - 3pm at The Heart Cafe, Bennett Road, Headingley. The group is open to all ages and all levels of knitters. There is teaching for beginners who want to learn to knit.
A £3 donation is required and please get in touch if you are interested in joining or please just come down! We are a friendly group, who love to chat and knit!!!x

helenbot Mon 02-Jul-12 16:04:23

Hi Eve and the knitting group - I hope you don't mind me contacting you all this way. My name is Helen Thornham and I’m a researcher at the Institute of Communications Studies, Leeds University (you can find me here http://ics.leeds.ac.uk/people/helen-thornham/). I’m writing now to ask if it would be possible to go through your knitting group at HEART in Headingley, to see if members would be interested in helping with our research.
I'm not really sure that this is the right forum for talking about this - but to explain a wee bit more:
We are involved in a research project, working with Leeds City Council, with the aim of exploring the different forms of public engagement that take place in all sorts of activities and practices within the Leeds area. Rather than defining ‘public engagement’ too narrowly, (as only political activity or community activism), we aim to look at the diverse ways in which members of the public interact with the council at various levels, both directly and indirectly (e.g. searching for information online, using the libraries, taking part in local community groups).
We are approaching you now to see if your group would be interested in taking part in the research by participating in a one-off discussion session. As a group who meets together regularly at HEART, we hope that this would enable us to arrange a convenient time when you are all available, and we could hold the session at the HEART centre.
We are able to offer each participant £20 to cover any out-of-pocket expenses.
Each group is invited to take part in one group discussion, which would involve between 4-8 participants and last for around 90 minutes.
The discussion group will be recorded (audio only) to enable transcription.
We hope to conduct the discussion groups in July- September (2012), so we would really appreciate a relatively quick response if you think this is something that 4-8 people from your group would be interested in pursuing. I have lots more information - but I don't want to bombard you with it here. But if you think this might be doable and enjoyable - I'd love to talk with you further about it - and my email and contact numbers are all on that link above.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now