Local Talk

Donating baby clothes/toys

(6 Posts)
BeaMinor Sun 11-Mar-12 21:46:29

Does anyone know of anywhere I can donate loads of baby/toddler clothes and shoes etc. (not to charity shops)
I'm thinking I'd like to send them to a domestic violence charity for when women leave their homes with nothing or somewhere that would give them to needy families for free for but I haven't a clue how to do this.

countydurhamlass Mon 12-Mar-12 18:53:03

what about speaking to your local social services who may be able to recommend organisations who help families in need. We have an organisation in our area called Stonham (who i believe are a part of Homegroup). They help underprivilleged people get back on their feet, support themselves. They help and support people who are dealing with social services in respect of their children, ie care proceedings, child protection matters and may take items to pass on to a new parent

BeaMinor Mon 12-Mar-12 20:41:38

Thanks - that's a great idea. I called women's aid today and they said they could use some of it but there is so much stuff could easily give some away elsewhere.

ICompletelyKnowAboutGuineaPigs Sat 19-May-12 20:20:38

I give mine to SureStart centres where they have outreach workers. They know who needs what and dishes it out. I have given all sorts of clothes/toys/equipment and its great that it goes to people who need it.

Gave loads away recently (including super duper highchair) and have decided to have DC #3 - probably bad taste to go and ask for it back grin.

Trazzletoes Sat 14-Jul-12 11:52:59

Another option is an organisation called PAFRAS (Positive action for Refugees and Asylum Seekers). They are always looking for donations - many women have had to flee all sorts of terrible things and are on an extremely limited income in the UK. I'm not sure exactly where it is and other details, but if you google it, there are details on the website.

timetosmile Fri 31-Aug-12 22:05:29

Maybe a little late now...but St George' Crypt and the Salvation Army often have their fingers on the pulses of needy families from all sorts of background....I've phoned them both in the past out of the blue and they've been very helpful about what they'd like, and for whom. hth

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now