Local Talk

moving to Horsforth Leeds, airport noise?

(13 Posts)
mellowsage Fri 16-Mar-12 17:44:59

hi, might plan to move to Leeds, and would like to know how much noise you can hear in Horsforth area? any ideas will be great! thanks!

ilove Fri 16-Mar-12 17:51:25

It depends where in Horsforth. I lived on Broadway for 7 years, and hardly heard anything. My grandparents lived in Cookridge, directly on the flightpath,and you might hear the big jumbo jets - FAB when Concorde flew over. Now we're in Guiseley with the airport 1.5 miles away and we hear nothing.

Where in Horsforth are you thinking of? Below New Road Side and you cannot hear a thing. Broadway up to Cookridge you might hear it if you are trying to. On the flightpath (alternated daily in and out) yes you'll hear the big ones in the beginning.

mellowsage Fri 16-Mar-12 18:48:45

Thank you for your reply.

I have been to my relatives house near Horsforth station, and I could really notice the noise, especially in the summer when all the windows are open.

I am thinking somewhere near Horsforth Hall Park, somewhere towards the town street where the schools are, so basically right side of the Hall Park. Can you hear noise there? many thanks.

tribpot Fri 16-Mar-12 18:56:04

You'd be further away that side so I'd expect it to be okay, but you're obviously quite sensitive to plane noise (I sympathise, I am very sensitive to some noises although oddly planes aren't one of them, it didn't bother me at all when we lived in Horsforth/Cookridge, and ds used to love watching the planes going overhead).

I wonder if you might be better off further from the airport if the noise is likely to be a big annoyance, are you particularly sold on Horsforth?

BIWI Fri 16-Mar-12 18:59:25

My dad lives in the Hall Parks, and I can honestly say I've never noticed noise when I've stayed there.

ilove Fri 16-Mar-12 19:00:28

The station is right on the border of Horsforth and Cookridge (mygrandma lived just up the hill)

The RHS of hall park is Broadway where we were and honestly we never noticed it - AND we didn't have double glazing. If you end up on Broadway let me know where - I have lovely memories of living there. The best primary school is the one on Town St - lovely ethos and staff. My boys both went there.

mellowsage Fri 16-Mar-12 19:15:49

Thank you for all your replies.

Its good too know that not so much noise near the Hall park!

I have heard the st. margret church primary school is really good. Is it really difficult to get in? and how is Horsforth as town? Does it have a strong community feel? Anything/experiences with Horsforth will be very helpful!

ilove Sat 17-Mar-12 12:37:41

St Margarets is difficult - you need to check the area that they enrol from before you move - we were right on the edge and our son just got in, a chid 3 doors down didn't. It is an excellent school

KiddyCookLeeds Tue 10-Apr-12 22:04:41

All the schools in Horsforth are excellent! Horsforth has a fantastic community feel, has lots going on, particularly if you have kids as it is a mecca for families with all the classes and schools. There are also good bars and restaurants which are family friendly in the day and buzzing at night. We also have a fantastic kids shoe shop, 3 toy shops and a wonderful park with a lovely play area for the kids. Best place in Leeds (although I am a little biased grin)

Sunnysonny Thu 17-May-12 13:33:49

Hi I lived on the flight path on scotland way from birth. The airport even paid for our tripple glazing and blinds. I genuinely never noticed the noise - ever but that was maybe because I was used to it!?

sassyuk Fri 18-May-12 19:39:12

Horsforth is a fab area smile. I used to do homecare there and its quiet and nice. Tbh I never noticed any airport noise either x

spiker Mon 28-May-12 23:21:01

Another vote for Horsforth here! It's a great community and a lovely place to bring a family up. And we are oddly blessed with a plethora of hairdressers.

I think you will be fine at the location you describe. I live closer to the station, right on the flight path and it is a bit noisy in summer, but I can honestly say I don't even notice it now (been here 6 years though and it did used to bother me the first year or two, when windows just had to be open in the summer). When the DSs were little they loved to eat their meals directly facing the window so they could watch any planes coming in.

My DSs are both at St Margaret's and yes it is great, but all the primaries here are very good. I've heard that they're all getting more difficult to get into now - just not enough places to keep up with birth rate and growing numbers of families moving in (poor planning by council/LEA i think). In Leeds 'catchment' is done on the closest school to your house in a straight line. I think as long as you put your closest school down as one of your choices then you will definitely get into that at least, which I think might be West End for you, although might be St M. But check it all out on Education Leeds website for yourself. They are expanding places at Featherbank/Newlaithes schools but not any of the others I think.

Trazzletoes Sat 14-Jul-12 11:45:45

Hi, I live in the Scotland Lane area, right underneath the flight path and don't notice the noise at all, except on the odd occasion that they take off this way. When the windows are open, or we're in the garden, it's noisy, of course, but within a couple of months of moving here, we were totally used to it. Don't bat an eyelid anymore.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now