Local Talk

Area recommendations please?

(6 Posts)
Crazybit Tue 12-Mar-13 21:45:55

We are looking to move to the Leeds area. It is close to our family in East Yorkshire, but not too close. wink I do not know the area at all so any advice and observations, recommendations and warnings will be great please.

We need:
Good value decent area
Decent schools, both primary and secondary
Some type of amenities such as a leisure centre, library, shops, park etc

Would like:
Not too far from the centre or easy to get to
Good transport links, either motorways or train station

TIA

Arlass Wed 13-Mar-13 12:40:05

Leeds is massive city but it has a lot of facilities both in the city centre and in local outlying areas. Most suburb areas are supported by a leisure centre, library and shopping area with banks. It's a general rule that the more banks and estate agents in a particular area the more affluent it is. I can only comment on where I live which is North Leeds, where I am told housing tends to be more expensive, than other areas of the city.
Transport links to the City centre are very good, and we have Roundhay park on our doorstep much used by families. dog walkers, lots of events.
Schools are usually good, but if you are interested in a particular school the closer you live to it the better. Primary schools usually 'feed' a particular high school. I would advise as a starting point looking to download the Ofstead reports of some schools they tend to give a good picture of the school itself.
I enjoy living here, and have no wish to move. Until the kids move out that is!

Crazybit Wed 13-Mar-13 22:07:45

Thanks Arlass, that is great. I have been mostly looking at North Leeds (more specifically, Horsforth) and dp has been looking at Morely.

Good idea about OFSTED as a starting point. smile

Arlass Fri 15-Mar-13 11:02:01

Hi Crazybit, Horsforth is a v nice area. Mixture of old and new. Good shopping area and good schools. Nice park too! Best of luck.

Crazybit Tue 19-Mar-13 22:11:10

Thank you smile

Limpetsmum Sat 15-Feb-14 07:00:31

Horsforth is fab. I've lived in Horsforth for about 8 years. House prices gone up quite a bit in the last two years as the secondary school has closed its boundary to ls18 only (ie only Horsforth children).
A three bed semi with a small garden is probably about £200k+

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now