Local Talk

We are having our holiday in Leeds and that's the end of it. I need to sell it to them

(158 Posts)
Lighthousekeeping Fri 25-Jul-14 17:27:10

Apparently they are sick of going to York. TBF i take them every year. Three girls aged 11, 13 and 14. I've already booked it so it's not negociable but, can anyone advise me of the great things to do there?

cardibach Fri 25-Jul-14 17:31:39

You could have a look at [http://www.visitleeds.co.uk/things-to-do/# this webpage]]

Branleuse Fri 25-Jul-14 17:31:47

a holiday??

in leeds??

cardibach Fri 25-Jul-14 17:32:50

Link fail
try again

cardibach Fri 25-Jul-14 17:33:56

I realise you say it is not negotiable now, but why did you choose Leeds? Especially if you don't know what you might want to do there?

Tortoiseturtle Fri 25-Jul-14 17:38:04

Bradford is good for a day trip. Great museum of TV/film with one of those giant 3D screens. Fab Indian restaurants where you eat Balti with your hands.
Harrogate - also good day trip. Try to get into the baths there (book first) if they're still running. Amazing place. And go to the famous Brown's coffee house.
Then get out on the moors and do some walking.

Lighthousekeeping Fri 25-Jul-14 17:39:55

Because I want to go to the Sculpture Park. I don't drive and figured Leeds is the nearest town to it. We've done the coast to death recently.

Baths are for 16 plus, I think.

Bradford film museum is amazing - one of the best days out we ever had with our two.

Lighthousekeeping Fri 25-Jul-14 17:40:25

Everywhere was getting booked up so I needed to be quick.

Tinkleybison Fri 25-Jul-14 17:40:50

I'm a bit confused - what made you choose Leeds for a holiday? Could they be won over with shopping or perhaps head out to the coast? There is lovely countryside around as I'm sure you realise. No doubt plenty to do in Leeds itself too but it doesn't seem like an obvious choice.

Hulababy Fri 25-Jul-14 17:42:00

How long are you staying?
Are you staying in centre or outskirts?

Tinkleybison Fri 25-Jul-14 17:42:24

Ahh cross post. We'll, Leeds is a great city at least you won't be stuck somewhere isolated and dull!

17leftfeet Fri 25-Jul-14 17:45:05

Theatre, shopping, art gallery, royal armouries -all in the city centre

Ooo and the roller rink is good for that age, just up from millennium square

Hulababy Fri 25-Jul-14 17:46:58

Thackery Museum is work a visit: www.thackraymedicalmuseum.co.uk/

If they like animals: www.roundhaypark.org.uk/tropical-world-leeds/ or further afield www.yorkshirewildlifepark.com/

This site has a range of stuff to do with children, but some also apply to teens: www.dayoutwiththekids.co.uk/things-to-do/Leeds and www.dayoutwiththekids.co.uk/search.php?county=West-Yorkshire You could also look at the pages for North and South Yorkshire too.

iseenodust Fri 25-Jul-14 17:47:02

Take them round the market for old style shopping & the posh arcades for window shopping.
There'll be activities/live music in the square some days.
If not too expensive entrance Harewood House can occupy a full day with a picnic.
Is the tropical/butterfly house still at Roundhay Park ??
Media museum at Bradford is free.

Lighthousekeeping Fri 25-Jul-14 17:48:31

Staying central it has a pool but I doubt I'll haven time to use the spa! I'm looking forward to it.

Leeds2 Fri 25-Jul-14 17:59:21

There is an Xscape I think, in the nearish area, which your girls would probably love. Not sure about access by public transport though.

AtSea1979 Fri 25-Jul-14 18:04:58

Thackeray museum is worth a visit, its a bit gruesome but some kids like that kind of thing.

17leftfeet Fri 25-Jul-14 18:10:00

The easiest way to xscape is by train to glasshaughton station which is across the road

They have climbing, bowling, sledging, indoor surfing etc

My girls are 10&13 and are too old for the medical museum

Idontseeanyicegiants Fri 25-Jul-14 18:10:15

The Armories are good for a day out, don't know Leeds that well in general though. Being on the Leeds-Manchester line gives you quite a bit of scope for day trips as well.

BIWI Fri 25-Jul-14 18:15:34

Harewood House - lovely adventure playground and also bird garden
Tropical World at Roundhay Park; the park itself is also good
Living museum at Kirkstall Abbey
Betty's in Harrogate (although they may not be as impressed with this as you will be!)
Harry Ramsdens fish and chips in Guiseley
And the Victoria Quarter in the city centre - the old Victorian arcades, with loads of pricey shops

RevoltingPeasant Fri 25-Jul-14 18:15:41

Tween girls in Leeds?

Shopping - all the arcades, Harvey Nicks. Lots of little bijou shops to explore.

Google Bon Bons chocolate shop, in I think Thorntons Arcade - amazing amazing chocolate.

Tropical World, still fun even at that age.

Girly spa trip at Radisson, massage or nails.

Browns for lunch.

Trip by train to Ilkley - walk on moors, tea at Betty's.

And you must must must go to Mumtaz in Clarence Dock, the hands down best curry you will ever eat and very naice and family friendly (no booze allowed, spectacular interior).

ApocalypseNowt Fri 25-Jul-14 18:15:41

Tropical World at Roundhay Park is good and fairly cheap. The Royal Armouries is good (and free). Next to the Royal Armouries is New Dock Hall and they have an exhibition on called Dino-Jaws.

Lighthousekeeping Fri 25-Jul-14 18:22:17

Wi I beable to get to the sculpture park or is that wishful thinking?

BarbaraPalmer Fri 25-Jul-14 18:26:15

day out to Skipton? the castle is lovely, and you can get a boat up the canal.

Manchester's less than an hour by train as well. MOSI and The Manchester Museum are definitely worth a trip, as is the City Art Gallery.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now