LGI vs St James

(12 Posts)
Snowflake16 Fri 09-Oct-15 19:47:43

i'm currently pregnant with my first and not sure which hospital to go with. Does anybody have advice/experiences to help me choose.

TiredandGrumpy2014 Fri 09-Oct-15 19:55:24

I went to LGI and had a great experience although it was 2 years ago now. Midwives on delivery suite were lovely and gave great one to one care. Got a room with a birthing pool there which was what I was hoping for. On the post natal ward you had to ask for help but when I did, again they were lovely and one midwife in particular on the nightshift really helped me get bf going - I'll never forget her!

No experience of St. James's but wouldn't hesitate to go back to LGI

Snowflake16 Sun 11-Oct-15 10:06:11

Thanks for that.

DawnOfTheDee Sun 11-Oct-15 17:46:01

I went to St James. Labour ward and theatre staff (I had an emcs and an elective) were brilliant. Then i got to the post natal wards..... I still can't talk about it without crying. Horrible attitudes of the staff on there. So little support bf....

I'd go with LGI

I agree with Dawn.

I had DC2 at St James' last summer. Had an EMCS and the staff couldn't have been better. I felt so reassured and well looked after.

The post natal ward was horrible. I didn't need breastfeeding support as DS latched straight away and I knew what I was doing but the staff were brusque and bossy and didn't announce anything they were going to do before doing it. I wanted be curtains shut as I needed privacy and they kept trying to tell me it wasn't allowed hmm. They picked the wrong person to try that shit with.

My phone was stolen by someone on the ward. Could only really have been the people who changed my bed as I hobbled bleeding to the toilet. It had the first photos of DS on it. When I reported it the staff were wholly disinterested and I didn't have the energy to take it further.

I self-discharged after 24 hours. Not before they threatened to re-catheterise me as they decided my bladder wasn't emptying properly despite me having one of the biggest pees of my life right before hmm. They were using a clearly inaccurate hand held scanner thing.

I'm rambling. Bottom line, I couldn't wait to get out of there.

I had DC1 at home but was under LGI. Everyone I dealt with was lovely and my midwives were incredible.

Aquarius1 Sun 11-Oct-15 17:57:22

I had my little one at LGI in August and it was all a very positive experience. I got the fancy suite with the birthing pool and mood lighting and they gave excellent support with breastfeeding. I stayed two nights & the ward was v noisy on the first night so be prepared for that - you might want to take earplugs / eye mask if you're hoping for some sleep. No experience of Jimmys although I know other mums who had theirs at Jimmys who had good experiences. We just went to the LGI as it was closer and I'm more familiar with it.

Aquarius1 Sun 11-Oct-15 17:59:09

Oh my Satan that's terrible! So sorry to hear what happened to you.

Haarlem Mon 02-Nov-15 08:55:06

I had a very poor experience at the LGI

Snowflake16 Mon 04-Jan-16 17:57:27

Thanks for the replys, going for St James in the end, heard good and bad for both but James' is better for us location wise.

SnowCurl Tue 05-Jan-16 13:25:31

Hi there,

Late to the chat but personally, I would go for the nearest hospital. In my case that was LGI. Had no.3 there in June. I'd hoped for a home birth but had to transfer in as had meconium in my waters. Had excellent midwifery care. We had to stay in 5 days in the end. It was very noisy on post natal ward, but luckily we were transferred to a side room. One thing to be aware of is that if your "chosen" hospital (LGI/St James's) is particularly busy and full you will be redirected to the other anyway. Best of luck with your pregnancy! Xxx

Newtoallthis81 Tue 05-Jan-16 13:39:21

I had my little boy in November and was always going to be at LGI, in the end I haha to be induced and when I called LGI on the morning to arrange they advised I had to go to St James as they were full ... And I cried! However, I did go and they were wonderful with me. I was there for 3 days in the end and the staff on the ante-natal ward and the delivery suite were absolutely out of this world. They were all so kind, patient and reassuring with me. They went out of their way to make sure I was happy and soothed my anxiety. I would definitely plan to deliver here again if I was to have another.

Interesting comments about the post natal ward, I was quite poorly after giving birth (confusion and panic after epidural and morphine) and the whole night was pretty much a haze but my partner commented on the rudeness of the midwife who looked after us, think she may have been angry about the presence of my partner (who shouldn't have been there but I was so ill) but was very abrupt with us all apparently. The midwives I saw the following morning were lovely though and the doctor who delivered my baby and did my stitches actually came to see me to check I was ok which I thought was very nice.

Good luck with the birth and enjoy your new baby, mine is 7 weeks old now and the love of my life. Xx

jellybelly85 Fri 15-Apr-16 13:42:48

Hi everyone, just moved to Horsforth and due in June. Wondering about options for giving birth...

I think for me the important things are a) good breastfeeding support in early hours/days, b) water birth facilities, c) preferably allow partners to stay over night...

Local midwife suggested my options are: LGI, St James, Harrogate and Bradford. I'm feeling pretty clueless - so any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated!

Ta x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now