Local Talk

University study on child language development in Leicestershire

(2 Posts)
samjgreen Tue 13-Mar-12 15:39:10

Hello!

I'm a PhD student at University College London - but originally from Leicestershire (Broughton Astley). My research is on how children learn speech sounds; but I'm also interested in the language they hear from their parents/carers. There aren't many studies done on Leicestershire English, or much information available on the language development of children learning British English, which is why I'm keen to come 'home' to do my research.

I am currently looking for parents/carers with 12 month old babies to take part in my research. What that entails, is me coming to your house approximately every two weeks to video you and your child playing for one hour. This will continue for two years. At the end of this time (or during, in fact), you are more than welcome to have a full copy of all the recordings I have, which will document your child's development over two years, and also show the importance of your interaction with him/her in their language learning. Once your child is around 18 months old, there will be an additional task - a simple game for you to play with your child, taking approximately 20 minutes.
These tasks and recordings can take place entirely at suitable times for you - I will travel especially to record you and your child as and when you are available. Data will be transcribed and will look similar to the collection of data here on the CHILDES database.

I recognise that this is of course a very large commitment, but there are certain extra points which should reduce concerns you might have. Any aspects of the recordings you want to be wiped can be done (except face blurring). That is, any names, addresses, dates, or specific comments that you want to be removed can be done immediately, or even up to years after the recordings are made. There should be no way for anyone to recognise you or details about you other than if they happen to know you. I have a full CRB disclosure check, as well as ethical approval from University College London, both of which you are welcome to look over. All data will be kept in line with the Data Protection Act (1998), and stored in a secure area within the university.

Feel free to contact me or my supervisor (Dr. Andrew Nevins) for more information.

Many thanks!

Sam Green
-------------------------------
PhD Candidate in Linguistics
University College London
Division of Psychology and Language Sciences
Department of Linguistics
Room 102, Chandler House
2 Wakefield Street
London WC1N 1PF
E-mail: sam.green.10@ucl.ac.uk
www.ucl.ac.uk/psychlangsci/research/linguistics/People

Phone: 07817 033035

Dr. Andrew Nevins: a.nevins@ucl.ac.uk

TinyDiamond Fri 27-Apr-12 15:29:15

Have emailed you in your ucl add

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now