Local Talk

Moving to Leicestershire from the US, wondering where to live.

(8 Posts)
kmcclaidcook Wed 29-May-13 18:14:41

I've accepted a position in Leicester, and I'm concerned about how to find a place to live for myself, dh, and dd that offers good schools and extracurricular programs for my 7-year-old. We missed the deadline to apply to primary schools in Leicester, and I'm worried that we need to figure it out soon, since she will start school there in the fall. One option would be to live in another town with better schools and commute to Leicester by train, but I don't know what kinds of extracurricular activities would be available. In the US she does suzuki violin, Irish dance, Russian language, and girl scouts and I'm hoping to find an area with a lot of opportunities for her to be active even if she can't continue with the same activities. Any advice is much appreciated.

kerloug Thu 30-May-13 15:34:50

Where abouts in Leicester will you be, is it in the centre?
Will you have access to a car?

kmcclaidcook Thu 30-May-13 15:55:59

I don't know yet where I'll live, but chance are I won't have a car.

kerloug Thu 30-May-13 16:07:19

I mean where abouts it your work, is it in the centre of Leicester?

kmcclaidcook Thu 30-May-13 16:38:42

It is in the centre, yes.

KnightonShiningArmour Mon 29-Jul-13 00:03:10

Have you moved over yet?

mrsbeano Tue 30-Jul-13 13:26:49

Hi, you have a couple of options really. You can live somewhere like Knighton which is easily accessible to Leicester City Centre by bus or walking (30-40 minutes). The areas that I think are nice and have a good commute time by bus are Knighton, Stoneygate, Oadby, Birstall, Syston & Anstey.

You could also commute by train from Market Harborough - I think that this would be good for your extra curricular activities as its just a bit wealthier that the centre of Leicester would be. You could also look at Melton Mowbray for commuting by train.

Not having a car limits you a little bit.

I live in South Knighton and walk to work in the city centre. It's a lovely leafy area and we are very happy here. Clarendon Park is also nice, lots of good shops/cafes (and a bit closer to town). Both areas have good primary schools.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now