Relocating to Leicester from London advice for primary schools please and areas 😊

(82 Posts)
Cinnamonlily06 Wed 25-May-16 12:13:46

We are relocating to Leicester in a couple of months .
We have 2 kids one in primary year 4 and one in nursery . We are house hunting and need advice for schools and areas as I don't know Leicester at all

ChoudeBruxelles Wed 25-May-16 21:05:51

Do you want to be in the city or a county village?

Wishfulmakeupping Wed 25-May-16 21:52:17

Yes depends where you want to be really. If you want to be very close to city centre then clarendon park would be a good option.
Market Harborough has good primary options and secondary schools also.
South leicestershire village Whetstone has outstanding nursery, primary and secondary and is close to city centre and train station in Narorough.

Wishfulmakeupping Wed 25-May-16 21:54:51

*Narborough rather!
Which actually would be a good option in itself.
Depends where you need to be close to really smile

Cinnamonlily06 Wed 25-May-16 22:00:47

ahem coming from london i would prefer the city i guess as i don't know if i can handle a too rural location smile
talking about leicester city which areas would you recommend?

justjuanmorebeer Wed 25-May-16 22:06:56

Clarendon Park is where you want. Still walking distance to train station and city centre.

Cinnamonlily06 Wed 25-May-16 22:14:19

are clarendon schools good? any other area in leicester? tx

Wishfulmakeupping Wed 25-May-16 22:25:39

If you want close to city then Clarendon park is where you want really or maybe Knighton might suit. Clarendon park is lovely very close to city centre, busy lots of shops, eateries and baby groups etc nice if you want city rather than county.
Worth noting that the villages although in the 'county' could actually only be a ten minute bus ride into the city so not out in the sticks iykwim smile

stirrupleathers Wed 25-May-16 22:32:23

I relocated from London 11 years ago. I live in kirby muxloe. Good primary school, great village to live in. 10/15 min drive into the city centre. The surrounding villages are lovely too. Good luck!

Cinnamonlily06 Wed 25-May-16 22:39:30

Thanks Wishfulmakeupping!
we already live in a villagy place in london in zone 4 but my fear was to be in those small villages where you see no one around!
we will come up one week end to have a good look around!

My strongest interest is for schools as i really want them to have a very good school

Cinnamonlily06 Wed 25-May-16 22:40:56

yes london is now far too much…too much expensive too many people and so on…
we had our cat stolen 3 weeks ago and that was the last straw really!

Cinnamonlily06 Wed 25-May-16 22:42:34

areas to avoid in leicester?

Cinnamonlily06 Wed 25-May-16 22:59:28

oadby? good or not? as schools seems brill tx

Wishfulmakeupping Thu 26-May-16 06:53:52

Oadby ok it's a town so there's good and not so good parts- it has lots of shops, gym, good parks and a out of hour Doctors open until 8pm. I couldn't tell you anything about the schools.
If you wanted a more village feel but still not too far from city centre then Whetstone, Kirby Muxloe as Stirrups mentioned and narborough all nice and close to fosse park too.

Cinnamonlily06 Thu 26-May-16 10:44:30

Thank you!!
And places to avoid?

Cinnamonlily06 Thu 26-May-16 10:44:56

Oadby seems to have outstanding schools

justjuanmorebeer Thu 26-May-16 17:21:46

Yes Oadby schools are good but always full so if you want to get in you need to buy very close indeed. Are your children already school age and you are wanting to do in year transfer? I grew up in Oadby but didn't go to school there, tried to get into Beauchamp but couldn't.
The schools in Leicester city and county are VERY oversubscribed. (I am a teacher).
But acecdotally, most people I know last year got their first choice of school if they were living in the catchment including us.

For Clarendon Park, your primary choices are great. Secondary not. Single sex schools next to each other. Sir Johnathan North girls and Lancaster boys.

I live in CP. It is right for us as I don't run a car right now. I would happily live in Oadby centre again if I had a car.

Have you considered Market Harborough? Will either of you still need to commute to London or are you academics coming to the Universities at all? Just curious.

If you are wanting to get your kids in to the schools you can contact them directly to ask regarding of getting a place.

justjuanmorebeer Thu 26-May-16 17:25:04

I wouldn't really avoid anywhere but the location depends on where you need to commute for work. If you want access to the M1 the places I have just mentioned are not the best as the traffic in the mornings to get onto motorway is bad.

justjuanmorebeer Thu 26-May-16 17:27:38

Clarendon Park primaries = St Johns the baptist and Avenue.

Knighton = overdale.

Catholic school = St Thomas more

All very good schools.

justjuanmorebeer Thu 26-May-16 17:29:40

Nurseries = Nursery Rhymes (knighton grange rd I think)

Little acorns

Montessouri on London Rd.

Preschools = St Marys, Woodlands, Hartopp (all the same company run by the same team, my dd went there and they were great)

Cinnamonlily06 Thu 26-May-16 18:51:41

Thank you !
We want to relocate as London is madly expensive and overcrowded . I work in design so I choose Leicester as there are few suppliers there where hopefully I will get a job soon.
My partner job is in London but I'm sure he can find the same in Leicester .
DD is in year 4 going year 5
Little one will start nursery in September so will follow the sister s steps .
We are coming to check the areas and see where we think we like more . smile
Commuting to London is far too expensive !

justjuanmorebeer Thu 26-May-16 22:41:45

Yes good thinking. When you come head for Queens Road for a coffee to plan your day.

Are you renting or buying?

ChoudeBruxelles Fri 27-May-16 13:16:28

Clarendon park/stoneygate area is fab. It's separated closer to town by london road from highfields. Avoid that and avoid the other side of welford road towards saffron lane.

Oadby is just out of city boundary but has a good town centre.

It's also nice out towards Sapcote.

ChoudeBruxelles Fri 27-May-16 13:18:05

Not all schools are oversubscribed btw

Cinnamonlily06 Sat 28-May-16 09:15:17

thank you Choudebruxelles! will do!
we will rent first and buy next year after i know leicester better
no schools can be as oversubscribed than london believe me! there are up to 250 kids in the waiting list here….
when you come from london you have seen em all…. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now