Local Talk

Good pre-schools in Catford/Hither Green/Lee area

(9 Posts)
BR44 Tue 17-Jul-12 08:55:26

I'm thinking about getting my nearly-2yo on the waiting lists at some local pre-schools and wondered if anyone out there has any particular recommendations?

KBSL Sun 19-Aug-12 19:14:27

Lewisham Opportunity Pre-school is fantastic, it really stands apart from all the others in the area. Check it out!

Chocoholiday Sun 19-Aug-12 19:18:52

Village Montessori near Blackheath was perfect for us.

BR44 Mon 20-Aug-12 19:55:20

Chocoholiday, I really like the look of Village Montessori too. Do you happen to know if they take children for half days? Its not clear from their website and I am having trouble getting through on the phone (wondering if they are closed at the moment for a break over the summer??)

KBSL - not heard of that one so will definitely investigate. Thanks!

Chocoholiday Tue 21-Aug-12 22:39:03

Hi - they are usually closed until beg. Sept but maybe try the number on their website? They do am and pm sessions. One or the other. Mornings are usually more popular. We loved pms because it was so nice to have relaxed mornings together first. We spent three years there and I couldn't recommend it highly enough. Lovely, true Montessori ethos with free play, lots of learning without any academic pressure.

BR44 Wed 22-Aug-12 12:10:16

Thanks Choco, sounds great. The number on their website just takes you to a full-voicemail box so I think I'll have wait until Sept and try then.

Chocoholiday Wed 22-Aug-12 21:22:49

Yes, do that. They are always very busy, but very friendly too, so just call in mid-Sept and set up a visit.

BR44 Wed 29-Aug-12 13:35:21

Choco, just out of curiosity how long ago did your DC attend and how long were you on the waiting list for? I'm feeling slightly disillusioned as another nearby Montessori preschool told me this morning that they've closed their waiting list as they are massively over subscribed for the next 18-24 months. Really hoping this is not the response I get from everywhere else when schools reopen next week...

Chocoholiday Wed 29-Aug-12 17:38:08

Mine were there for a few years and got a place quite quickly. But that was in 2008, and it's become very popular. I'm sure they have a waiting list. But don't despair until you've been there and had a proper chat - waiting lists aren't always completely set in stone. If you feel strongly about Montessori and want to commit for a good chunk of time, it might make a difference. good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now