Local Talk

Moving to Forest Hill or Bromley

(11 Posts)
Babar50 Mon 07-Jan-13 13:02:58

Hi all, thinking about moving to either Forest Hill or somewhere like Bromley - for more space (need to buy a house as now have 2 kids) and the primary schools. Access to Central London and Canary Wharf important as DH works.

It would be great if you can let me know thoughts on the two areas.... as I have been to have a look and been to Horniman loads of times (which is amazing) but don't really have any idea what it would be like to live there. I live in central London at the moment so v different!????

Thanks for your thoughts grin

MymbleandlittleMy Fri 11-Jan-13 19:50:17

Not sure about Bromley but we're moving to Forest Hill at the end of the month. Our new house is right near the Horniman, which I'm very excited about. We live in Brixton now and I think it will be a good change for us.

Oystershells Sat 12-Jan-13 09:42:48

Babar Contact Bromley estate agents Sinclair Hammelton on tel no 020 8464 5566 www.sinclairhammelton.co.uk. I have used them in the past and they are fab. All the people who work there have done so for years and know Bromley like the back of their hands for houses/flats/ schools etc

Babar50 Wed 20-Feb-13 21:32:23

Thanks everyone - sorry not to reply. I'm new to Mumsnet and I thought i'd be getting email alerts. Anyway, we've decided on Forest Hill - so will let you know MymbleandlittleMy - we may be neighbours! We are currently thinking about primary schools as my first is due to start Sept 14 so need to apply Jan 14 - and so will try and get somewhere near a school I think.

Sleepthief Thu 07-Mar-13 09:34:49

I live in Forest Hill and cannot recommend it enough. There's a real sense of community and loads going on just now. Great schools too. Let me know if you want any more specific advice.

MymbleandlittleMy Sat 09-Mar-13 12:55:16

Hope the house search goes well Babar50. We've been here a couple of weeks now and are loving the new neighbourhood.

Another one in FH - perhaps a local meet up should be arranged when it's not snowing. grin

I'd recommend aiming to be within the catchments of Horniman, Eliot Bank, Fairlawn (the Holy Grail at the moment, I believe), or Dalmain or Kilmorie if you're the wrong side of the tracks like me!

lulupeg Tue 23-Apr-13 22:52:39

Like AwesomeWellies, we live on the wrong side of the tracks (below Stanstead Rd) and are hopefully in a position to get our DS into either Dalmain or Kilmorie. We only moved in last week but I'm so glad we managed it (very protracted chain that meant we ended up moving to a wreck with a toddler and a 5week old!). Anyway the residential streets near Kilmorie are wonderful, there is loads more community spirit than Peckham Rye where we moved from and so much in the way of activities for little ones. Despite the building site of our house, I'm so happy to be here and recommend the area to those priced out of living near decent schools in areas like East Dulwich or even the posher parts of Forest Hill or Honor Oak - think this spot of FH won't stay reasonably affordable for much longer...

MymbleandlittleMy Wed 24-Apr-13 20:36:41

Welcome lulupeg & good luck with the renovation. We looked at some houses near Kilmorie school but I was already obsessed with the one we eventually bought. FH prices seem to be going crazy of late.

lulupeg Wed 24-Apr-13 21:30:22

Horniman area so lovely (out of our reach sadly!) Mymble... Thank you for welcome, loving it so far especially the sunshine! Yes prices are definitely a bit mad, we bought the last affordable (to us) 30s house in FH it seems.... Just have to put up with a year or so living on a building site. Had structural engineer round today, lots of sharp intakes of breath etc, yikes!

lulupeg Wed 24-Apr-13 21:31:53

Oh and we are now choosing between nursery place at Dalmain or Kilmorie... Am going to open days soon, sorry for thread hijack but would love views...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now