Local Talk

Liverpool- primary school & housing advice

(5 Posts)
SpeechGarden Sat 23-Feb-13 15:49:13

Hi New Friends!

Our family is preparing to move from the US to the Liverpool area this summer. We have dd aged 8y and ds who will be 7 this summer. What area might you recommend for housing and great state primary schools? We are open to outlying areas, but won't have a car, so need access to public transport. DH will be at Liverpool University each day. We'll need to let and have a dog. Coming in late to the school application process, would we be sent to a school that is less-than-desirable? When considering schools, how much value is placed in the Ofsted scores?

Upon reading the article below, we are a little concerned about the area, though we are hopeful that the English charm will make us feel at home. Any comments would be greatly appreciated. We will be over to visit sometime in March.

www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2011/mar/29/indices-multiple-deprivation-poverty-england#

Thank you in advance for your time and thoughtful responses!

wsag Fri 01-Mar-13 13:54:27

Hi, not sure how much help I can be but I didn't want your post to go unanswered. I live in South Liverpool, L17, and worked at the University before having my daughter. Reasons I like this area are: Sefton Park is a great outdoor space, Lark Lane has bars and restaurants and a few little craft type shops, close to the river for a nice bracing walk, I could walk to work in 35 minutes, and bus or train into the city takes about 10 minutes. Other areas I would recommend are Mossley Hill and Allerton. Personally I think the south of the city is nicer than the north. Liverpool is a deprived city, unemployment is high but as you are coming here with work it isn't something you need to worry about. Just look carefully before renting, and ask here for advice on specific areas, or the University will give assistance. If you look on rightmove.co.uk and search for properties in L17,L18,L19 it will give you an idea of what you can afford.

As for schools, I think the above areas have some decent schools. Perhaps post in education to get a better idea about the meaning of Ofsted reports? Also try posting in property/diy to get more opinions about the city. I love living here, it has a real mix of people and cultures, lots of things going on. Don't be put off by newspaper reports smile

wsag Fri 01-Mar-13 13:56:49

Just a note about your dog. A lot of landlords state no pets but often if you offer a larger deposit or promise to have the carpets cleaned once you move out then they will relent so don't be disheartened

LiverpoolLou Tue 12-Mar-13 20:49:42

There is a fantastic primary school next to Liverpool University- St Nicholas. Staff are friendly and recent OFSTED was 'good'. They're used to working with children who are new to the country and have the children of lots of people who work at the Uni.
It is a really diverse school and would welcome you in for a visit
Their number is 0151 709 5532

PolyesterBride Fri 22-Mar-13 22:48:37

Hello.

I think if you won't have a car you should think very carefully about where to live. In my opinion, Liverpool is not an easy city to live in without a car, if you have kids and commuting to factor in.

Nice areas include mossley hill/allerton (look at booker ave, dovedale, sudley primary schools) or Woolton (but Woolton not nearly so good for public transport). I would contact the council and ask which schools have places. If you are religious, you will have a wider choice of schools. I don't think the pressure on schools is so great that you would automatically get a bad one, but moving two kids at once might be hard.

Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now