Local Talk

Best hospital to deliver in?

(10 Posts)
choppington Tue 09-Sep-08 15:29:08

Hi Forum

I'm at the stage where I need to decide on my local hospital. I live in Edlesborough and have been given the options of Luton and Dunstable, Watford General, Milton Keynes General and Stoke Mandeville.

The Healthcare Commission website rates Stoke Mandeville the best and the others rather poor.

I'd love any feedback.

Thanks!
Mel

Swedes Tue 09-Sep-08 22:30:11

I had a cervical stitch at Luton and Dunstable and found the obstetric team absolutely brilliant (Peter Lewis was the consultant). I had elective c-section at QEII welwyn and everything went very well but I have to say that the care I received was not as efficient and helpful as at Luton & Dunstable.

L & D is a bit shabby looking and I think people find that off-putting. Lots of my friends have had their babies at L&D and they all think it's brilliant.

choppington Tue 16-Sep-08 14:04:16

Thanks so much!

lauzjp Tue 21-Sep-10 04:40:12

I had a horrible experience at the L&D, I wouldn't wish that place on anybody. I still haven't quite come to terms with it, but one day will write my 4 month olds birth story.

MumInBeds Tue 21-Sep-10 07:03:54

I've had 5 babies with the L&D (4 in the hospital, one at home) and have had fantastic care every time but I have never looked at going anywhere else so I can't give a balanced view.

MumInBeds Tue 21-Sep-10 07:07:58

Sorry to hear you had such a bad experience lauzjp - I hope you are doing well now.

fallingwater Sat 07-Jul-12 15:33:10

I'm a luton mum, and delivered both my DDs at the L & D. I feel its a brilliant hospital, with great values and attitude to patients's care. the maternity and Delivery suite team is very professional and works real hard, although my opinion may be perceived as 'biased' being that I've, myself, worked at the L & D for the last 8.5 years).
When I went in for my first delivery, I was horrified to be told to 'take some paracetamols' and wait till my contractions are about five minutes apart... But in the end, everything went well! DD1 was born, and turned 8 yesterday!!
I'd suggest you visit the hospital, if you want to take a look around the delivery suite. I'm sure it may be arranged with your allocated midwife? All the best!

MrsJohnDeere Sat 07-Jul-12 15:49:40

Strongly recommend the L&D. Fabulous care, particularly if things go wrong or aren't straightforward. Can't praise the mws highly enough.

MrsJohnDeere Sat 07-Jul-12 15:51:18

Just realised that this is a really old thread. Your dc is probably starting school soon! Came up on my 'last 15 mins feed'!

fallingwater Sat 07-Jul-12 17:35:50

: ) Sorry, MrsJohnDeere!! My fault!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now