Local Talk

Which hospital did you / will you give birth in?

(21 Posts)
Thumbelina79 Tue 30-Aug-11 20:53:28

Hi,

Just pregnant (6 weeks) but I want to be organised.
I live closer to Wythenshawe than MRI.

But which is the better hospital. Or are they any other options for South Manchester Labour?

What is your experience?

Because I was watching a documentary which said because of under resourcing / overstretching they left a large piece of placenta in a lady at Wythenshawe.

Also I want to start Yoga but every site that I look at says start at 10 weeks. By that time my fitness will be zilch!

peacypops Wed 31-Aug-11 18:09:45

I gave birth at St Marys (MRI) last December and had a very good experience. The unit is quite new and the staff who looked after me were excellent. I also know lots of people who have had babies at Wythenshaw and not had any problems. I think that it is quite hard to say which is the best (I don't necessarily think one is better than the other) as a lot depends on what happens on the day (how busy the unit is, what kind of labour you have, the staff etc). I can only speak for St Marys - and I had a straightforward birth and was only there for 8 hours!)

birdofthenorth Thu 01-Sep-11 12:46:25

St Mary's for me too. New, spacious, nice midwives, good food, good overall experience (well, apart from the various traumas associated with having to push out an abnormally large baby, bur that wasn't their fault!).

I would highly recommend requesting it (I am 10 miles outside Manc & I did!).

Only downside was there was always long queues at my scan appointments.

Cwm Thu 01-Sep-11 12:54:34

Wythenshawe twice, great experience both times. Beware that if you ask for a hospital other than your nearest then you may be under a different team of midwives for your routine antenatal care than the ones you see in the labour ward, something to consider! You will hear horror stories about every hospital to be honest. I've never heard a bad thing about st marys or wyth, except in the past st marys was certainly a lot busier, not sure if it still is. Also bear in mind that car journeys whilst in labour are not fun! Good luck

Summerbird73 Wed 21-Sep-11 22:03:22

I went to Wythenshawe, i was originally booked into Trafford General when they had their maternity unit as it was a smaller more intimate unit, but then i decided to go for Wythenshawe as it is only 10 mins down the road.

Good antenatal care, excellent obstetric care and really good postnatal care. I needed an emergency CSection and they didnt mess around. Will def go there again next time (fingers crossed)

Dont listen to adverse stories, i work in medical law and i can tell you that situations like that you describe are few and far between. On the other hand every hospital has a story to tell.

Two babies at Wythenshawe (one last year) and really couldn't complain. Only gripe was that when they closed Trafford, Wythenshawe seemed even busier for scans. I worried about their capacity to cope with the numbers but everything was fine. And, having read some of the awful stories about after care post labour, I will say that the majority of midwives were lovely.

I've has three at St Marys, my youngest was 2 weeks after they opened the new one. I wouldn't hesitate to go back to St Marys and won't hear anything bad about it. So there. grin

peacypops Wed 21-Sep-11 23:21:36

You can still go to Trafford for antenatal care (including scans) - well you could a few months ago when I have my second child. I had all my antenatal care at Trafford and then gave birth at St Marys last December.

I was booked in at St Mary's but when I went into labour there was no room at the inn so I ended up in Wythenshaw and it was great and the midwives were fantastic.

fenner Sun 16-Oct-11 21:38:07

It depends whether which hospital you choose dictates where you have your regular check ups with your midwife. I made my decision based on having midwife appointments at a clinic near my house.

CheekyChoppers Sat 22-Oct-11 14:04:25

I had first baby at St marys and am booked to have the second there next March. We live in south Manchester, so have all my midwifery appointments with the community midwives attached to wythenshawe... But this hasn't been a problem for us at all.

I had a really good birthing experience at St marys, an chose it over wythenshawe because it has all the special care baby/ neo natal units. Saying that, wythenshawe is said to be smaller and friendlier. Also, due to some of the maternity units closing around Manchester at the mo, St marys are expecting to pick up alot of the shortfall, so it could become very crowded and over stretched :-/

Carlhairdresser Thu 24-Nov-11 11:35:50

Message deleted by Mumsnet.

Matou Sun 04-Mar-12 00:50:17

I went to Salford Hope for both my babies. Loved it there. The consultants' ward will be closing down soon but the midwives' homely ward will stay open thanks to a big campaign. Great antenatal care. Great parentcraft classes. Great BF policy and support. Lower C section rate!
Admittedly it is a bit of a trek if you live nearer Wythenshawe Hospital. You will probably need a car. Nearly got caught out for the birth of DS2: didn't have time to go to the maternity ward, we just made it to A&E, but they loved it, they said it made a nice change from broken legs and drunks. Ha! grin

Jewel21 Tue 13-Mar-12 16:50:42

I had my baby at home - I highly recommend home birth, I had one-to-one midwife care throughout my labour, was happy and safe in my own home space, and didn't have to make the journey to hospital when in advanced labour!

A local friend highly rates Stepping Hill, she chose to go there for both her births, even though Wyth is a bit closer.

Mandy21 Wed 18-Apr-12 09:10:41

Another vote for St Marys. Lived in Bolton when I first went into labour prematurely with twins and St Marys was the only hospital within quite a large radius that would take us. Absolutely 1st class care for all 3 of us. Would stand on a roof top and shout every day about it if I had to.

Had moved to South Manchester by the time No. 3 came along - opted for St Marys again. My antenatal group had about 18 ladies - the other 17 all opted for Wythenshawe and had great care too. We all had antenatal checks with local midwives although I did go to St Marys for my scans (and sometimes had to wait). Small price to pay though for the reassurance I had of knowing I'd deliver there.

I think both are very busy, its just the luck of the draw in many respects as to how busy it is on the day that you end up on the labour ward.

notjustamum2012 Fri 20-Apr-12 14:51:45

I had my ds at wythenshawe in 2010 and thought it was really good.

DrMcNinja Mon 28-May-12 15:46:40

I'm only 8 weeks and was offered St Mary's or Wythenshawe. I went for St Mary's as I've heard good things about it, I think all the future midwife appointments will be with midwives from Wythenshawe though! Doesn't really bother me!

adewonder Sat 09-Jun-12 21:49:21

I had my son in December at st Mary's in the midwife led unit. Stayed for 4 nights in a private room, all nurses and midwives lovely. Room I gave birth in was bright and clean, midwives so fantastic and not interfere-y at all. My first baby, no experience of maternity at all, so all new to me, but i think it was a positive place to give birthc

ethansmumma Tue 19-Jun-12 09:32:23

I had my firstborn at St Mary's , midwifes were really helpful I was there for 3 nights with pains on but not dilated enough.They took good care talked me through everything and gave me best advice regarding pain relief techniques.Finally had an assisted labour which went well with the help of wonderful doctor and the team .Post delivery care was good but as the wards were busy they forgot few things while discharging me like doc prescribed iron supplements and they were not included in discharge pack. Overall it's a good place to have a baby but it's getting busy with many units closing in other parts of Manchester .

vonnieisbonnie Fri 29-Jun-12 13:02:48

Had my first at St Marys - on a domino delivery - was brilliant, used the birthing pool and only stayed for 5 hours. Midwives were very good. Had second at home - almost brilliant, was so lovely all staying together and no trips in the icy cold to the hospital.

wabetta Sat 18-Aug-12 19:03:35

hi had my baby at wythenshaw in the midwife led unit. 1st baby very scared but the staff were amazing ! only in for 12 hours post delivery!! Would definatly use wythenshaw again ! All my antenatal appointments were at Trafford and again could not fault the midwives.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now