Local Talk

Moving to Altrincham/Sale/Hale in a months time!!

(60 Posts)
rachococo Sun 22-Jul-12 02:28:03

Hello everyone! I am currently living in the USA (previously Whalley Range/Chorlton), and moving back at the end of August to start a Doctorate at the University of Manchester. We are keen to start afresh in a new area of Manchester, and Altrincham/Hale/Sale seems like its gonna be the place!! We liked Chorlton, but fancy living a little more out, on the tramline. We have an 8 year old daughter so looking for school recommendations and also areas where is best to rent. Are there any council estate areas to avoid? Obviously we have a lot to sort out in the next couple weeks, so any advice or help would be much appreciated!!
Thanks
Rachael

JennerOSity Sun 22-Jul-12 16:55:15

Was going to be all helpful as a mner also in Mcr area, but then you asked questions I don't actually know the answer to, so bumping for you instead. smile

rachococo Mon 23-Jul-12 21:00:08

Thank you!!!

SoozleQ Mon 23-Jul-12 23:29:05

To be honest you will struggle to find a bad primary school in Altrincham or Hale. I can't really comment on Sale.

Housing obviously depends on budget. Area around Stamford Park is popular because of Stamford Park Primary School but not cheap. The two schools in Bowden, Bowden and Bollin are also very popular. Or you have Navigation Road School with some quite good rental properties in that area. If you are into faith schools there are also Catholic and CofE schools in Alty.

Or you could go slightly further out to Timperley or Well Green, get a bit more for your money, leafy suburbia but not quite as convenient for the town centre. Timperley is, at least, on the tramline and there are more good primary schools in the area.

What sort of things are you looking for?

rachococo Tue 24-Jul-12 01:59:29

Thanks so much for your reply - we are still waiting to find a rental that will be available at the end of aug/start september, they are all available now - so keeping our options open. The Stamford Park area looks nice, but may not even get a place in the school. So we were thinking of nearer Navigation Road as it then gives a few options, Forest School, Willow School, Cloverlea, Navigation Road - I think it will be more where we can get a place!

I have heard Broadheath School may not be that great? Are there any areas of Altrincham that should be avoided housing wise?

Thanks so much for your help - really great!

ohforfoxsake Tue 24-Jul-12 07:45:07

You can't go far wrong with any of these areas, and for your 8 year old it won't be as difficult to find a place. Have you considered secondary schools? We moved up two years ago and looked at catchments for secondary to start with. Lots of grammar schools, high schools are good, as as are primaries.

Feel free to PM me. My children are in primary schools and we're looking at secondary's at the mo. smile

JennerOSity Tue 24-Jul-12 10:14:30

Incidentally, you didn't say why you wanted to be further out, is it related to tram lines? I ask as you may not know that Chorley (which you said you liked) is getting/has got a new tram stop?

busyboysmum Tue 24-Jul-12 10:16:56

Hi we are in Sale and very happy here. The schools are all good, mine are at Brooklands which is an excellent school. Sale Grammar is a mixed grammar which might be something to think about for later as the Altrincham grammars are single sex - depends which you would prefer for your child really.

The tram is so convenient for going into town, feel free to pm me if you want any further details.

SoozleQ Tue 24-Jul-12 20:26:55

The Sinderland Road area of Broadheath maybe isn't as nice as the Navigation Road side of the main road but it's not bad bad. Can't comment on the school itself. The Broomwood Estate is probably one to a avoid but if you want to be near the tram you're unlikely to be looking there anyway. Otherwise I can't think of anywhere you need to avoid.

rachococo Tue 24-Jul-12 21:21:00

Thanks so much everyone - I think I am getting my head around the area now. I am on the look out for a rental starting end aug/start of september, but most are available now. It all seems so last minute but I guess that is the deal with renting. But now I have a better idea I know what to look out for. When I have some potential rents I may be PM-ing some of you that have offered, thanks so much!!!

rachococo Thu 26-Jul-12 02:18:06

If anyone sees any houses for rent in Sale/Altrincham/Hale starting end aug/start sept please send over the details!!!! Didn't realise these estate agents charge an 'application fee' - working to a very tight budget with the transatlantic moving costs - so keen to avoid them!!
Thank you!!!

ohforfoxsake Fri 27-Jul-12 20:15:36

Shame - one down my road has just gone. Will keep eyes an ears open as PM you smile

rachococo Tue 31-Jul-12 14:24:45

Does anyone know the Colwick Avenue area WA14 1LQ, a rental has gone on that looks great and is the right price, near Navigation Road Primary and Willow School and Forest School. Is it close to the Broadheath estate?
Thanks so much
Rachael

rachococo Tue 31-Jul-12 14:25:12

Thank you!!

gettingbrighter Tue 31-Jul-12 14:32:58

Forest School is private btw, not sure if you know that already

SoozleQ Wed 01-Aug-12 00:48:31

Colwick avenue is a lovely quiet little road. Doesn't tend to get much through traffic because it's hidden away. Easy to walk into town, close to Navigation school and park. Not close to broadheath. Lots of families on the road. Parking is a bit of a pain but you'll find that anywhere in the area - it is resident parking mon to fri 9 to 5.

SoozleQ Wed 01-Aug-12 01:03:16

Pm me if you have any more questions - I can give you lots of info!

Would recommend colwick smile

rachococo Wed 01-Aug-12 12:52:19

SoozleQ - Thanks so much, am going to organise for my friend to view it this week!! Is Willow School a standard Primary? I was planning on applying for Navigation road Primary and a couple others as I know it may be oversubscribed. I appreciate your info - I am really excited, and hopefully we can organise the rental before someone else gets there first!!!

MarthasHarbour Wed 01-Aug-12 13:16:29

Oo yes Colwick Avenue is in our desired area, we are a little bit north of that but not far, (in catchment for Navigation Road). It is a nice quiet street and near to both tram stops. Basically any streets around the Barrington Rd area are good (Barrington Medical Centre are ace too - i can recommend all of their GP's).

You cant go far wrong with Navigation Road Primary, that is going to be our first choice, as we are doing the admissions from September this year.

If we dont get Nav Rd we are also putting some schools nearer Timperley on our preferences, such as The Willows, Heyes Lane etc although we would struggle to get into HL as we are prob too far. I was also going to say that Forest School is a private school if you are willing to pay the fees.

I would certainly avoid the Broomwood area <sorry> the school does have a reputation.

Broadheath is a tricky one, it is OFSTED rating 1 (outstanding) but a lot of families tend to want to avoid it. However the Stamford Brook estate which has just been built next to it might start and remove that reputation. FWIW a friend of mine works closely with Trafford schools (not as a teacher - as a community worker) and finds the level of education and school cooperation at Broadheath excellent. However i think it is the families there that give the reputation. I dont know why BTW...

If you go for Timperley way then as i say The Willows and Heyes Lane have excellent reputations, as does Park Road, but on the other side of the coin, Park Road has a reputation for being excellent for the 'Gifted and Talented' but does not encourage the more 'average' students. Again my friend (the community worker) doesnt have as good a relationship with that school - again i dont know why.

Now if you are going further south, ie into Hale and Bowdon you are literally spoiled for choice. All these are excellent schools (but pricey to live in): Bollin, Stamford Park Primary, Elmridge etc etc. If you get in there i will be envy

All the very best of luck - another one offering assistance if you want to PM me!

MarthasHarbour Wed 01-Aug-12 13:17:18

Yes the Willows is a standard state primary - my friend is v excited that her DD is going in Sept! smile

rachococo Wed 01-Aug-12 13:22:28

Has Park Road Primary closed down?

MarthasHarbour Wed 01-Aug-12 13:23:38

No - what makes you think that? My friend's DD was certainly there on Friday smile

allnewtaketwo Wed 01-Aug-12 17:39:23

It's called an academy now but definitely still exists!

TheOneWithTheGoldMedals Wed 01-Aug-12 17:44:50

Well if you find anything in the Sale area feel free to ask me. Only place I would really avoid is the Racecourse estate. Other than that it has great primary and secondary schools.

rachococo Mon 06-Aug-12 04:22:02

Thanks again everyone - on the Ofsted site it said 'Park Road' closed (http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/inspection-reports/find-inspection-report/provider/ELS/106287/), which is what confused me!

I missed out on the house in Colwick Rd sad But my friend has seen a house in York Street in Altrincham, and is looking at one on Lawrence Road, and Marsland Road in Sale, any ideas on these areas?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now