Local Talk

Moving to Altrincham - no childcare until school admission decide on places

(10 Posts)
rachococo Mon 20-Aug-12 16:10:07

Hello everyone, I am moving to Altrincham in 10 days time from the USA, I am starting a Doctorate position at the University of Manchester on the 3rd September which is a full time position. I have secred a rental property on West Vale Road, and submitted the application for my 8 year old daughter to start in Year 4 - I put Navigation, Willows, Cloverlea as choices. I just thought I would call the admissions team to see when I would hear ( I thought it would be this week!) - and they informed me they don't even look at the applications until the school starts and then it can take up to 2 weeks to be informed. I am completely shocked, and panicking! I have to be in Bury for 10 o clock each day and won't finish until 4pm from the 3rd September, my husband is not moving over until the end of September. Is this the normal process for school admission in Trafford, is there anyway to speed this up - contact the school directly etc? Is anyone familiar with Altrincham and can suggest any form of child care for an 8 year old for the first 2 weeks in September?
Any help much appreciated!!
Thanks
Rachael

SmallerClanger Mon 20-Aug-12 22:48:30

Hi, not sure I'm going to be much help, but we were in a similar position last year. We moved into Trafford over the summer, and ended up without primary school places for about 2 weeks into September. I was also shocked that this was totally normal. I was told that they don't know how many places each school has until term starts, and they can see who has returned or not taken up a place. I was lucky in that I wasn't working, but it was still stressful waiting. Don't think contacting schools will help, they don't deal with allocation. However, it was sorted within the 2 weeks, and they started the day after I was given confirmation of the school. I'm not local to Altrincham, so can't offer advice on childcare settings, hopefully there will be a nursery/childminder? Very best of luck, I do hope you get some local advice.

TeaDr1nker Mon 20-Aug-12 22:55:35

Hi, look up www.northwestchildcare.co.uk
Www.tigerlillychildcare.co.uk
Both are based in altrincham/hale area and may be able to help you out

TeaDr1nker Mon 20-Aug-12 22:56:38

U could contact the schools to see if they have a list of local childminders in your area

rachococo Tue 21-Aug-12 03:41:22

Thanks all. It does seem a crazy system, but i'm not going to change it, so have to find a way to sort this. I just feel bad for my daughter, as it is such a big move she doesn't need anymore disruption. Hopefully it will turn out ok!!

rachococo Wed 22-Aug-12 01:19:31

Has anyone else heard earlier than 2 weeks in this situation?
Thanks

retropops Wed 22-Aug-12 20:48:56

Welcome to Trafford!! We have lived where we are now for 4 years (bought not rented) and didn't get into any of our 5 closest schools including our catchment - school places are hard to come by round here you live only a few streets from me - your catchment for Navigation aren't you they are a 60 intake sure you'll hear something soon, Trafford usually offer places towards the end of September after some children take up private/move away and don't tell trafford. Is private an option?

rachococo Thu 23-Aug-12 02:30:10

Thanks for your message! Unfortunately private isn't an option, I am beginning a Doctorate at the University so am on a limited bursary income. A few weeks ago a lady at the admissions office said they had a space available going into year 4, but I imagine if someone else has applied before me I won't be in luck. My daughter is going to stay with her Grandparents in Somerset for the first week of September, then may be calling in the favours from friends in the area and looking into a childminder. I wasn't expecting this at all so still shocked! Fingers crossed....

rachococo Thu 06-Sep-12 23:43:07

Just a quick message, to say my daughter was lucky enough to get a place in Navigation Road, starts Monday...I better get a uniform!!

SmallerClanger Fri 07-Sep-12 22:01:13

that's excellent news. Hope you managed to cope with child-care this last week and enjoy school next week.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now