Local Talk

Nice, clean swimming pool for baby in/near SW19?

(25 Posts)
NoHunIntended Thu 27-Jan-11 20:03:33

Hey, Wombles

Does anyone know of any lovely clean pools for little ones in or around Wimbledon? I am a member of Nuffield Health, but have always found their pool rather less than delightful, and don't really relish the prospect of dunking DS (nearly four months) in it. And it's not especially geared up for babies anyway. Is there anything else local, other than the big main gyms that I know about?

TIA

I haven't been for years, but have you tried the municipal pool? Off the Broadway? It always looked really good/clean when I did go.

NoHunIntended Thu 27-Jan-11 20:26:33

Thanks for speedy reply, BIWI! The one on Latimer Road? Did have a look around when I was checking out gyms for myself ages back. Did look reasonably clean, and good for single sessions, may consider switching from Nuffield membership.

I'm a member at David Lloyd - the pool there is OK (although it's ages since I last went <blush>), but I would guess it's going to be a bit expensive going to another club if you're a member somewhere else!

NoHunIntended Thu 27-Jan-11 21:12:43

Many thanks. Yes, not worth paying membership at NH then fees elsewhere, but I would happily leave NH for a great pool. May check out DL, thank you. Is it child-friendly, i.e. easy access into/out of pool, decent temperature for babies...

Yes, very child/family-friendly.

There are two pools - one inside and one outside. The inside pool also has a small-ish splash pool for little ones.

There is a separate family changing room area - with big cubicles to change in, each with their own shower.

NoHunIntended Thu 27-Jan-11 22:06:31

Lovely, thanks for info.

NoHunIntended Thu 03-Feb-11 23:28:58

Went for a look around DL - lovely, but £££!!!!! £150 JOINING fee?! WTF! Surely no one pays this! Loved the little pool though, and the changing room looked very practical. So debating whether to ditch Nuffield Health, and fork out for DL, but will absolutely have to ensure we go very regularly. And not pay that ridiculous joining fee!

wombly Thu 03-Feb-11 23:32:25

Virgin Active in South Wimbledon is better in terms of a pool for little ones - and nice changing rooms for parents/babies. The water's not even chlorinated! Go and have a look there, I would. My dc loved it.

wombly Thu 03-Feb-11 23:33:28

Also I was told to join a gym at the end of the month, then they might waive the joining fee - they need to meet targets etc.

NoHunIntended Fri 04-Feb-11 12:24:33

Not chlorinated, really - wow, that sounds great! Is it the one by Sainsburys, or the one down North Road?

And thanks re joining at the end of the month tip!

Maybe we should just set up our birthing pool again!

wombly Fri 04-Feb-11 17:17:33

Errrr.... it's off Haydon's Road, set back off the main road. It sits next to a primary school - Garfield, is it? Lovely gym IMO.

NoHunIntended Fri 04-Feb-11 18:44:16

Lovely, thanks, I know the one. Am also going to check out Esporta.

NoHunIntended Mon 28-Feb-11 11:48:37

Just to update, in case anyone else wants info:

Esporta don't allow children at all, so no go there.

Checked out the pool at the Virgin Active off Haydon's Road - lovely - they have a separate pool and separate changing facilities for families (not mixed though, which is a bit of a pain as it's much easier with both parents). Was a nice atmosphere with a good family vibe, which I don't get at Nuffield Health so much as you just get one lane cordoned off there.
But NH still works out cheaper for me, and is closer, so I think I am probably sticking with that.

I also eventually found baby swimming classes www.dolphinswimschools.co.uk/baby_swimming.asp,but I am not sure how they are any different to me taking my baby as I am doing.

Expatmummie Fri 04-Mar-11 15:48:34

I just tried water nippers for my 14 month old. great teacher, small class in small private pool near the Wimbledon Rugby football club. Pool is clean and caters well for babies. http://www.waternippers.com/

Expatmummie Fri 04-Mar-11 15:49:09
TJ34 Mon 12-Mar-12 11:37:02

hello. does anyone know if the the pool at water nippers heated?

TJ34 Mon 12-Mar-12 11:37:37

hello does anyone know if the pool at water nippers in Wimbledon is heated. thanks

fluffyman1 Sat 09-Mar-13 16:56:55

Nuffield have a new swim co-ord who does P & b classes on a Tuesday and after easter they will be doing a Wednesday class if you are interested?

fluffyman1 Sat 09-Mar-13 16:59:37

The Raynes park pool is always very cold!! they do do P & b classes at Nuffield, and the water is lovely. Tuesday (& now Wednesday) mornings. Also after school lessons.

fluffyman1 Sat 09-Mar-13 17:02:06

The pool at Nuffield NOW is excellant. its run very efficiently and the teacher there that does most of the lessons, is very experienced and can do babies from 6weeks (did his own baby at 3 days!!!) and can do class lessons/private lessons and adults too smile

TrinityTom Sat 14-Dec-13 15:36:36

You need to go to Trinity Hydro Centre Pool in Tooting its run by The Baby Swimming Company . They will also be building a new pool in wimbledon next year to open in May.got to www.thebabyswimmingcompany.co.uk

Davina82 Mon 06-Jan-14 15:04:04

My 2 daughters having been swimming at The Linden Lodge pool with 'The Swim School', and their lessons are fantastic. The pool is nice and warm and they can take children from 3 years in to there really cool hydro pool, which has its own wave and bubble mechine.

Hi Mumsnetters

Happy New Year!

Why don't you encourage the managers at these pools to list their swimming classes on the Merton site? Then you can review them?

Best wishes

piji Tue 18-Feb-14 18:18:28

The municipal pool at Latimer Rd is fine IMO.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now