Local Talk

Singlegate or Holy Trinity?

(23 Posts)
BirdieSW19 Sat 21-Apr-12 13:47:40

Anyone got any experience of these schools in SW19? Thank you.

wobblypig Sun 22-Apr-12 20:35:29

Holy Trinity - long standing 'good reputation'. Need to live generally few streets away. Half entry is vicar-signed off Cof E other half is distance away. Most people I speak to /know are pleased with it.

Singlegate was poor school when new headmistress arived and turned it around to be ' outstanding' . More socio-econominally diverse I would say. Headmistress is now shared with another failing school William Morris which again has been turned around by sharing her.

The effect on Singlegate of sharing the headmistress was an intial concern of the governors - not sure how it has panned out. We are 700 m from Singlegate and 400m from Holy Trinity and didn't get offered either.

Wherever you are in Merton you unliklely to be in the catchment of both schools.

wobblypig Sun 22-Apr-12 20:35:57

Roughly where do you live Birdie?

BirdieSW19 Mon 23-Apr-12 15:56:24

We are close to Singlegate. Have a vicar-sign off for HT but live further from there. Thanks for your thoughts, not sure what to do.

gazzalw Mon 23-Apr-12 16:03:03

And what's wrong with Garfield. They are most definitely not the only good schools in the area. There is more to a good school than an outstanding OFSTED! The Head of Singlegate appears to be a 'tick box' manager type. Not saying she's not good but she is an Aparatchik for sure!

wobblypig Mon 23-Apr-12 20:21:01

gazzalw - which schools do you recommend?

gazzalw Mon 23-Apr-12 20:32:04

Well without being biased we are very happy with Garfield. We chose it over and above Singlegate because we just had a nicer feeling about it. It's very mixed socially and culturally but think that makes it the school it is -in a positive way!

Just dismayed by everyone thinking that Singlegate is the school to send DCs to...have several good friends whose children are there and don't doubt their viewpoints but all families have had children at the school since before Mrs Bull arrived. Was at the Polka Theatre last summer with DD and overheard several mums talking about the trouble of finding a house to rent in Colliers Wood because of the demand for Singlegate...made me grin.

I'm sure it is a good school but as I said from what I gather Mrs Bull is very much a Council Aparatchik and as such is obviously brilliant at working her away around OFSTED requirements.

I just find this whole school fashionability thing rather tiresome as it doesn't necessarily show the real story.

Incidentally in DS's class, three have got into super-selectives, one to Graveney and two to the selective stream of another comprehensive and one has got a tennis scholarship. I think that tells you a lot about how well serves its children...

gazzalw Mon 23-Apr-12 20:33:31

The school that is...

Macedonia Tue 24-Apr-12 10:15:42

I was put off Garfield when I went to the park next to the school at picking-up time and saw how many parents took their children to the swings and cracked open cans of lager. Still, horses for courses.

BirdieSW19 Tue 24-Apr-12 11:32:40

We are closer to Singlegate as a community primary school, I've nothing against Garfield at all. I have friends with children there who are very happy.
Just interested in comparing to Holy Trinity as that's a church school...does it make much difference?

gazzalw Tue 24-Apr-12 17:18:31

I don't think I've ever seen anyone opening a can from school - are you talking recently? And are you sure they were from Garfield - and you cannot judge a school by one or two parents.

macedonia Tue 24-Apr-12 18:02:11

Gazzalw, this was a couple of years ago. They were definitely Garfield parents as they had their children with them, wearing the school uniform. I agree that a few parents shouldn't put you off, I think the school had a really bad reputation in those days which may or may not have been warranted. It was very much the norm that if you lived in that area and weren't guaranteed a place either by church or distance at one of Holy Trinity, Priory or Bishop Gilpin, you moved house or went private rather than end up at Garfield.

Mrsrobertduvall Tue 24-Apr-12 18:06:05

I have worked in all those schools and agree with gazzalw that Garfield is a lovely school...fab head .
Holy Trinity again...great.
Singlegate..I think gazzalw puts it very well......

gazzalw Tue 24-Apr-12 18:48:31

Well I cannot think of a contingent like that in the years since DS has been there but I'm sure it might have been the case once upon a time. We have a very good mix, socially and culturally. Plenty of yummy mummies and some more down-to-earth types too.... But in a way it's more of a reflection on Society at large than some of the other Wimbledon schools (if you get my drift) but I think that's a good thing!

Thank you Mrsrobertduvall grin!

Mrsrobertduvall Tue 24-Apr-12 21:02:52

You can buy me coffee in the village!!!![ grin]

BirdieSW19 Wed 09-May-12 09:27:24

Eeek, what a lovely dilemma, we got into both - don't know what to do. Any advice?

wimbledonian Wed 09-May-12 09:48:15

How do you get into both? Surely you are only offered one school place, based on which one was your higher preference? Or did you get a waiting list place for one after getting the other as your original offer?

BirdieSW19 Wed 09-May-12 10:10:46

Applications for nursery are separate - to Merton Council for community school nurseries (Singlegate) and then directly to faith schools for their nurseries (Holy Trinity). I'm not sure why they don't amalgamate.

gazzalw Wed 09-May-12 17:53:00

Well done BirdieSW19!

I would say it depends where you live - I would go with the one that's
closest . Also, although Singlegate is flavour of the month at the moment, it hasn't always been so and I would say that Holy Trinity is generally a more steadfast school - if that makes sense!

Could I just urge you to make up your mind ASAP, as there will be plenty of parents who haven't got the local choices they want and your prompt decision making will help another family to get a positive result! And believe me even for nursery provision there will be a lot of nail-biting going on at the moment!

BirdieSW19 Wed 09-May-12 19:27:38

Thanks for the advice, will do.

gazzalw Wed 09-May-12 19:55:49

Good luck decision making - tis not easy.

FlatCat Thu 10-May-12 14:26:56

Wow great helpful discussion, I was just looking at primary schools on Ofsted and Singlegate is 0.3 miles from me so closest...but was wondering about Garfield and also All Saints as they are both close by too? Has anyone any experience with All Saints?

Filthycop Thu 21-Jun-12 16:16:30

if you are talking about Nusery palces - check which school you will get Reception for - in most schools there are 52 Nursery places for every 30 Recpetion places so check whether you are likely to be offered a place in the Reception....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now