Local Talk

Primary school advice (esp for St Mary's) - new to Wimbledon

(7 Posts)
hen77 Sat 16-Jun-12 14:41:50

Hi
I'm hoping to move to Wimbledon in the next few months but know very little about the area and would really appreciate some advice on a few things from people who know the area well.
Firstly, I'd love my daughter to go to St Mary's on Russell Rd but can anyone tell me how close I'd need to live to get her a place? I know all about the religious criteria, which is fine, but as I'm assuming it all comes down to distance, does anyone know the distances that children have been offered a place in the last 2 or 3 years? Also, how many non-sibling places tend to be available?
Secondly, can anyone recommend nurseries in the area, somewhere a short walk from wimbledon station? And the same with childminders, preferably who would do pick up from St Mary's?
And thirdly, what is there to do for young children in the area? Are there playgroups, children's centres etc close to wimbledon town centre? What are the best parks nearby?
I appreciate there are a lot of questions here, but advice on any or all would be a really great help!
Many thanks

MangawhaiHeads Sat 16-Jun-12 20:00:56

Hi
I was in your shoes very recently! Just getting to grips with it all. Whereabouts will you be living? We are in the Battles and have been told we should be ok for DD for next year.
No help on crèches but there is plenty to do around here. Lots of great open spaces and playgrounds. I love it.
HTH
M

hen77 Sat 16-Jun-12 21:12:38

That does help, thank you! Not sure where we'll be living yet as just started looking. It's the usual cliche - want to be close to a good primary school (and ideally secondary), train and tube for work, good parks, safe area, young families / nice neighbours, but affordable. I've heard of the battles but no idea where it is. Guess I need to speak to some estate agents! Thanks again for the positive feedback!

Wobblypig Thu 21-Jun-12 22:48:11

Secondary schools is where you list falls down

uselesslife Wed 27-Jun-12 10:24:07

if you check merton's website, there might be more information on how the school places were allocated, but I think with the religious schools, you have to request that info from the school itself.
It's very tricky in Merton, it's very oversubscribed
E.g some schools had 30 sibling places, one had 2. You can't account for that, it's pure chance

I can recommend Wimbledon Day Nursery on Montague road
But it has a long waiting list I believe
There is another new one on Pelham Road
And one on Queens Road, close to the station

Lots to do in Wimbledon
Jitterbugs
Eddie Catz
Polka theatre
Gymboree
New Wimbledon Theatre
Deen City Farm
Merton Abbey Mills
Morden Hall Park

Haydon's Road park,
South Park

The battles area is closer to South Wimbledon- Hamilton/Hardy/Nelson/Victory Road.
Nice houses, bit cheaper

South

hen77 Sun 01-Jul-12 14:16:45

Thanks for all the info, very helpful.

mackie1 Fri 10-Aug-12 11:22:15

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now