Local Talk

Local info needed the Good the bad and the ugly - what do you wished you'd known?

(52 Posts)
ThePathlessPath Mon 03-Sep-12 09:58:18

Hi we are relocating soon to the area ( DH, me DD - 6 ds - 8 )
and have a few questions if anyon local can help I would be very grateful ( have done a search and got loads of information but just have a few questons left )
Probably Willington school for my son but where do they go afterwards?
Which school for my dd - want something all round but cant seem to find it schools seem very acadmeic
again where do they tend to go for secondary

DH needs to ge tto mansiobn house every day and I need a yoga class a park to run in , independet coffee shop and a library

Do the roads get VERY congested ? at school runtime or do people walk to school

HAvent even pinned down house yet ! but think that west wimbldon Raynes park will be good for us

What do i NEED to know before i start commiting to schools and a house and if anyone want to help me search online feel free to suggest houses /roads

thank you

ThePathlessPath Mon 03-Sep-12 10:23:56

any merton mums out there?

gazzalw Tue 04-Sep-12 09:03:06

Merton Park is a very lovely area (not sure what your budget is) and has some independent coffee shops etc...along and off Kingston Road - but is still probably only a fifteen minute walk into Wimbledon Town Centre.

Can't help you on the prep school front I'm afraid, but some of the state primaries in Wimbledon are very well-thought-off and sought after (Dundonald, Bishop Gilpin, Pelham, Merton Park, Wimbledon Chase, Wimbledon Park and Holy Trinity) and probably have a general intake that's socio-economically similar to the children attending the prep schools. But, and here's the caveat, you will need to really do your research about catchment areas because they are tiny and it seems that there are parts of Wimbledon, even in the central areas, which fall outwith these!

If you live in Wimbledon, secondary-school-wise, there are some fantastic grammar schools (state) for girls and boys in Sutton (Sutton Grammar, Wallington County Grammar, Wallington High, Wilson's Boys, Nonsuch High) and Kingston (The Tiffin Schools) and Ricard's Lodge and Rutlish are the state comps which are quite highly thought of these days and doing better, results and reputation-wise, year on year.

There are some excellent public schools too with probably King's College School (in Wimbledon Village) and Wimbledon High School being the most obvious. Obviously, though, with good transport links to London, Kingston and parts of Surrey, there are many others to consider too!

Good luck and let me know if you need any more info - although we are ideologically wedded to the State system, so I'm not much help with particulars about prep and public schooling!

gazzalw Tue 04-Sep-12 09:08:58

PS Sure you will get some more help but remember it's the beginning of Term and we are all focussed on getting the DCs back to school!

ThePathlessPath Tue 04-Sep-12 20:23:22

G - thanks for response appreciate it
Had a ring round and the schools are all full and having done a bit more research the state schools look really good ! seems that there are loads of children in the area - good
Started looking at property - whats the alexadnra road area like? and the area around raynes park looks like good houses

Getting excitied !

BIWI Tue 04-Sep-12 20:29:44

I'm a Merton Park mum, although my children are older now (one is at university and the other at 6th form college out of the borough).

State schools are generally excellent, especially at primary level. Both my boys went to Rutlish (secondary), and its academic record has got better every year since DS1 started there 9/10 years ago.

Alexandra Road isn't great, although it's very close to the town centre. Not much green space immediately to hand.

What's your budget for a house, and how much house are you looking at getting for your money?

BIWI I didn't know we were local!!!

I live in Raynes Park and love it. I grew up in Merton Park though (practically opposite Rutlish!). Agree with what everyone else has said. I think there is something for everyone in this area Merton park/Wimbledon/raynes park. It will all depend on budget, size of house you want, how far you like/want to walk etc...

Raynes Park has nice coffee shops, a waitrose, there is the David Lloyd around the corner if you want a gym, having said that there are yoga classes I've seen advertised in Raynes Park too.

Libraries in both RP and Wimbledon. Wimbledon common good for running on, or John innes Park in Merton park. Raynes park has two small parks but easy to get up to common.

ThePathlessPath Tue 04-Sep-12 20:50:19

Great thank you good to hear good things
Budget is 800k MAX would like a 4 bed with big garden and would love a garage but realistic too ! Love open plan kitchen diner , Dh doesnt liek new build and new town houses and we both love old charcter places - but again we are realistic !

Great to hear good things about the schools which ones are the good all round ones to base our selves near -we are not moving again so need to get it right for primary and secondary

BIWI Tue 04-Sep-12 21:06:59

<waves to MrsHP> We'll have to have a Bootcamp meet up!

TPP - sounds like a very reasonable budget for the area. I live in Old Merton Park, the bit across the tram crossing heading towards South Wimbledon, and houses like ours (Edwardian, 3 bed or 4 with loft conversion) are on the market for around £600K. Gardens tend to be small, though, unless you can buy in Melbourne Road, as those houses back onto the park and some have massive gardens. Garages are few and far between, but we do have a controlled parking scheme, which means that parking is pretty easy (albeit that you have to pay for a yearly permit).

ThePathlessPath Tue 04-Sep-12 21:13:14

Parking permit ? does that give you a space and what sort of price is it ?

ThePathlessPath Tue 04-Sep-12 21:24:14

Does anyone kno what the copse hill/westcombe ave end by cottenham park is like and isit an easy walk to wimbledonb station? thanks

BIWI Tue 04-Sep-12 21:25:15

Look at this! 6 bedrooms for your budget!

The parking scheme doesn't give you a space, just allows you to park in the street. I think it's about £75-80 for the first car and more for the second - we only have one car.

Deffo bootcamp meet up!

Copse Hill has lovely houses, road can be busy, but the houses are set back so quiet when in them if that makes sense. Too far to walk to Wimbledon, but walk able to raynes park in about 10/15 mins maybe, or short bus ride. Nice little parade of shops near bottom of Copse Hill where it is near to A3.

ThePathlessPath Tue 04-Sep-12 21:36:47

Wow looked at the 6 bed Very quirky angled rooms
does anyone know daybrook rooad in merton park whats that like ? and what is snuff mill enviromental centre is is aka a tip?
copse hill is on my list to visit on friday

not sure whether to start at raynes park ans walk up to wimbledon or the other way round ?

ThePathlessPath Tue 04-Sep-12 21:46:10

Right off to bed for me thanks for all replies tonight

BIWI Tue 04-Sep-12 22:53:44

The snuff mill environmental centre, I believe, is in the middle of a National Trust park - hang on ...

BIWI Tue 04-Sep-12 22:56:02
gazzalw Wed 05-Sep-12 06:15:59

yes, Morden Hall Park is a treasure in it's own right although that would be a reasonably long walk from the Merton Park side of Wimbledon and would be a bus ride (200) from the Raynes Park side!

BIWI Wed 05-Sep-12 08:39:09

That's true! ThePathlessPath - I think you need to identify which school(s) you're interested in first, and then we can help you with property/area info.

But it certainly looks, from the brief recce I did on the property sites last night, as if you have a good enough budget to get (most) of the house you want in any of the areas you were talking about. The only thing you're less likely to get - especially in Wimbledon/Merton Park - is a garage.

Wobblypig Thu 06-Sep-12 00:16:24

Op welcome to WIllington when you do come. Will that be reception?

Wobblypig Thu 06-Sep-12 00:19:13

Just re read Ds is 8 . WIllington will probably get you thinking about future schools when you arrive. They prepare mainly for the 13+. Driving into school not a problem because they start so much earlier than the state schools.

ThePathlessPath Tue 11-Sep-12 19:56:32

Hello I'm back very tired and exhausted have spent two days walking the area visiting loads of school and parks and cafes ! then fell down ill hence absence !

Am narrowing search down to wimbledon chase school area am also going to look at raynes park at weekend and like the look of the little bit we saw - so what do i need to know and anyone wan to help look ?

BIWI Tue 11-Sep-12 20:44:53

Are you thinking of Wimbledon Chase, or Willington?

You have to be quite careful if you are trying to buy in the catchment area for wimbledon chase as they have a funny shaped zone (can't remember what it is called now - Priority zone or something similar). This is due to where the schools lie in the borough in comparision to the housing.

I live in Raynes Park and love it!

BIWI Tue 11-Sep-12 21:21:41

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now