Local Talk

Palmerston Road / Ministers - good street to move to?

(6 Posts)
hen77 Tue 11-Sep-12 12:45:36

Hi - we're thinking of putting in an offer on a house in Palmerston Road. We have a 2yr old and one on the way. I'd love some reassurance that it's a good street / area to raise kids, if there's anything we should know about that would make us rethink, and recommendations on good places for the kids nearby (walking distance or bus if possible as we don't have a car). I think we're close enough to schools, but would be interested if anyone knows what schools we would get into from this location (top end, close to broadway). If anyone has any views on the street / area, please let me know!

cooper44 Thu 13-Sep-12 09:38:14

hi there - I just moved to Pelham Road just around the corner and I love it. (was in very central London before so it's a big change). I love that everything is on our doorstep. I have a three year old and about to have another baby. We are surrounded by great parks all walkable. There are lots of places to go (there are groups all over the place but we go to one at the YMCA on the broadway) and the fabulous Polka theatre is just down the road. I drive but even if you don't you are right next to lots of bus routes if you want to go up to the village/Common or further afield. Love having the northern line and the overground - when I first moved I was working at Waterloo and sometimes did door to door in 30 mins - amazing. We have a great nursery next door but will hopefully go to Pelham primary on Southey road next year which is a good primary according to everyone I have talked to.
Kingston is good for shopping - has a great John Lewis etc. Am slowly training myself not to drive into town but to go there instead - far easier.
I can't really think of any negatives to be honest - a lot of trucks tend to use these streets as a cut through to Kingston Road but I think Palmerston is narrower so you probably would't get that so much.
Hope all goes well with the sale.

Primafacie Thu 13-Sep-12 21:41:52

hi, I live on Graham road, and until we moved here last year we lived on Southey road for 5 years. I think it is a great area, lots for kids to do and excellent transport links, but perhaps not as many parks as you would wish. Your nearest would be South park gardens, just a few minutes' walk but no play area or games for children.

If you are close to the broadway you may find it noisy at nights. There are some nightclubs nearby, but I lived on the corner of Pelham and I never heard anything.

Pelham school is going to be expanded this year I think, so I would check what the deal is with the planning permission and whether this will affect you at all - though obviously that would be a short-term inconvenience only.

If you are practising Catholics, one alternative would be St Mary's school which has an outstanding Ofsted, but you will need a letter of reference from your priest.

If you ring the Merton local authority and give them the address, they will list what schools are your nearest, and you can then check catchment areas for these schools to see where you might get in, but your best/only bets will be Pelham and St Mary's, which are both very decent.

Good luck and feel free to ask if you have other questions.

hen77 Sun 16-Sep-12 20:29:03

Thanks both - that's reassuring. Slightly worried about the noise from the broadway and wish there was a bigger park than SPG on the doorstep but outweighed by all the positives the area has to offer. Just hope we can get moving soon!

IfYouSeeMeSayHello Mon 17-Sep-12 11:36:32

Hen, there are plenty of green spaces within walking distance as well as SPG, you also have Dundonald, Haydons Road Park, John Innes Park and of course the Common. Fab spot.

cooper44 Mon 17-Sep-12 12:01:05

And the ice cream in SPG does make up for its bijoux size.
Cannizarro Park is also lovely.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now