Rutlish School

(4 Posts)
majorminor Wed 27-Apr-16 13:36:35

Just looking for any comments you may has on Rutlish School in Wimbledon. I’ve heard good things about the Headmaster and the results seem to be improving year on year. My DS goes to a local primary so Rutlish would be the first option for state secondary based on proximity and, like most parents, I'm just wondering what the school is like.

MitchamBelle Wed 27-Apr-16 14:11:14

Our son is in Yr8 at Rutlish and is doing well. It's hard to give any specific insights though, as you don't really get to know the school in the way you do at primary, there's no chatting at the school gates, or cake sales or fairs, so it's hard to get to know other parents, unless your son happens to wind up in a tutor group with boys he already knows!

majorminor Thu 28-Apr-16 13:35:59

Thanks @MitchamBelle As a working mum I find it hard even in primary school to know what is going on confused
I'm glad your DS is happy there. I'd be interested in hearing from other parents who know the school - the good and maybe not so good!

HaydonWomble Fri 29-Apr-16 10:34:41

The 'catchment area' for Rutlish is shrinking year on year in a way that Ricards Lodge isn't yet achieving - to the extent that some boys living on the Merton borders were not offered places there on Offers Day back in March 2016 (although they may well still be lucky enough to obtain places via the waiting list). That says much about the increasing popularity of the school particularly amongst families living close to the school.

The SLT seem to have worked wonders in the past five-six years since the new Headteacher has been in post.

The only recent criticism I've heard levelled at the school is to do with boys clustering within their own cultural groups which may give the school a less pupil cohesive feel than others.

DC1 has primary school friends there who are thriving. It's noticeable that it appears to be more and more the first choice of local MC parents, particularly those who are actively seeking to avoid the 11+ rat race.

Have you been to visit the school yet, majorminor? The benefit of doing (and comparing and contrasting with other similar schools) cannot be underestimated.

What is certain is that you are unlikely to get many London state schools in such a lovely leafy location wink.

Good luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now