Local Talk

Mum and Baby desperate for conversation of our own ages!

(20 Posts)
ReebleBeeble Thu 11-Aug-11 17:21:46

I'm Rhiannon. 25, engaged and moved to MK on a whim 18 months ago.
She's Mollie. 7 months old, in love with a cuddly bee named Gary and has lived in MK her whole life. So far, not much in common other than a mutual love of Peppa Pig and rusks. Makes for very difficult conversation!

I never got a chance to make any friends in MK before I became pregnant and had SPD throughout so was pretty much housebound. Now I'm climbing the walls looking for sensible conversation (or even ridiculous conversation!). At baby clinic today I noticed Mollie desperately trying to start up a conversation (I think 'Ba' means hello. could also mean "Ive pooped" or "biscuit please!") with an 8 week old which made me feel guilty about not letting her play with other children often.
I hate the local bumps n' babes and song time at the Sure Start. I feel awkward and no one really has time to chat outside their own cliques. And Im worried I'll start laughing at the pretentious names one of these days. Summer-Strawberry anyone? :O

So long story short... Anyone fancy Coffee/apple juice/bottle of milk and a rusk/GIANT peice of chocolate cake with me and the Mollie-monster?

Thinking along the lines of a regular meet up for mums with children of all ages. In a local coffee shop to begin with, then see how things go. Or a book group. Or a wine/whine group ;) You get the idea.

I hope this made sense. Im on the 4th coffee of the day...

AltMama85 Fri 12-Aug-11 12:57:52

Hey reeblebeeble :D I have a just-turned 10 month old daughter called Madison who is looking for playmates :D I also have an older boy, he's a sweetheart and also loves nicking Madison's rusks lol

I love the idea of a book group, though atm i'm struggling to find the time to read a book sigh maybe that would give me the incentive to pick up the pile of books sitting by my bed and get reading again.

Oh and coffee, coffee is good, very good smile
We could try and get some more ladies in similar situation to meet up at some child-friendly coffee-selling place (can't think of one offhand?)
I drive so travelling isn't a prob for me

hope to hear back soon x

GoldenSnitch Fri 12-Aug-11 13:50:59

DD is poisitvely ancient in comparison at 20 months but if there's a meet-up going on I'd love to come smile

I have a 4 year old DS and 7 year old DD, but am always up for chocolate cake!!!

AltMama85 Sat 13-Aug-11 16:32:02

hii goldensnitch and davegrohlsgirl, my DS is nearly 7, lets do lunch somewhere child friendly?? any ideas?? we're going to the playday coming up at campbell park, are you??

ReebleBeeble Sat 13-Aug-11 20:06:30

Wowwie, I never thought Id get anything back! Hello, MK mummys, lovely to hear from you all smile

Sorry its taken me a while to get back on, I saw the replies on friday then there was a shoe eating incident, then a health visitor dropped by for a 'chat' by which she meant 'condesending, nosey lecture about feeding Mollie baby jars' then the DH came in with key lime pie and all coherent thoughts went out the window...

Woo hoo! My plan for world domination cakey bakey meet ups is coming together smile AltMama85 is right. Anyone know of a child friendly place? I was thinking Costa's in middleton hall. Theyre usually great but I wonder if theyd be okay with a buggy invasion? Id really like to go to the Campbell park thing on Friday, perhaps we could do a meet up then? A picnic! Yeah! Id have to leave early(ish) though, we're off to Norfolk in the evening.

GoldenSnitch- 20 months is great! You can forewarn us newbies of all the things to come. Whats DD's name?
Daveghrolsgirl- Same goes. Be our all knowing Oracle of the group smile In return there will be cake.
AltMama85- Im constantly reading every chance I get. So far Im on 32 books this year but Id love a book group to force me to read things I wouldnt normally pick up smile

Anyway, I talk to much. Hope youre all having lovely weekends and I look forward to hearing from you soon smile x

AltMama85 Sat 13-Aug-11 20:19:01

picnic sounds good smile i'm about to start reading A Game Of Thrones and finally read The Da Vinci Code lol. It will only take me a day or three to finish a book because I become totally engrossed and useless to all those around me, hence the delay in starting my current bedside ornaments lol.

how does a cup of coffee at costa then a walk down to the playday sound mamas?

ReebleBeeble Sat 13-Aug-11 20:31:22

Haha, no way! Im just about to finish the latest Game of Thrones smile Its REALLY hard going compared to the others. Im the same as you, I read quickly but this has taken me a month so far...

Im up for the Costa's then playday idea. Im still not confident about where stuff is in MK so walking en (mini) mass is ideal!

AltMama85 Sat 13-Aug-11 20:37:44

brilliant smile the playday is from 10am-2pm would 9.30 at costa be too early for you guys? do you drive? if not i can pick you up from an "i'm-not-an-internet-weirdo" neutral place (local shop etc)?

GoldenSnitch Sun 14-Aug-11 10:01:23

DD is Catherine. I also have a 4 year old DS.

We're going to be at the play day but unfortunately I've already agreed to go with some friends. It's one of the children's birthday's and we've moved his party from their house to Campbell park so we can do both as they're always a lot of fun.

I shall keep an eye out for you all though. smile

I can be there!!
9.30 definately not too early, and the kids can play at the indoor beach until we decamp to the park.

AltMama85 Sun 14-Aug-11 11:54:03

Sounds great :D

ReebleBeeble Sun 14-Aug-11 20:29:48

Cute name GoldenSnitch! We liked it too, but the surname has a 'K' sound so we thought it wouldnt go.

I am okay for 9.30, will have to pull Mols out of bed early cos shes a lazy mare but its totally worth it smile AltMama85- a lift sounds great but my buggy is a bit on the chunky side. Do you drive a tank by any chance? ;)

GoldenSnitch Tue 16-Aug-11 07:52:40

I've just put the rest of this weeks free activities on the other thread. Are you guys still meeting? I'm still planning on being there so will keep an eye out for you all smile

AltMama85 Tue 16-Aug-11 09:50:28

yeah I drive a tank with a huge boot (renault megane scenic)

GoldenSnitch Thu 18-Aug-11 21:34:09

I hope the weather clears up for tomorrow. I can't make it to Costa but was going to keep an eye out for you all at the Play Day

GoldenSnitch Fri 19-Aug-11 22:12:09

So...?

Did you meet? Did you have fun? Was everyone nice? Are you going to be meeting again so i can come ? smile

Organza242 Wed 28-Sep-11 21:59:11

Hi,

Are you meeting again?

Cheers

ReebleBeeble Wed 05-Oct-11 13:42:59

Oh my gosh, I wasnt notified of any replies!

GoldenSnitch- it was fun, in the end it was just AltMama and me in the sun with a few other mothers she knows but we all had a good natter.

Hi Organza! Id love to try another meet up now that family life has calmed down somewhat smile Any ideas lovely ladies? Mollie is crawling now so doesnt like to be sat for a long time. Anyone been to Gymboree in the city? we could try that then go for coffee maybe.

Let me know smile Ill actually keep an eye on the thread this time and not rely on notifications!

Organza242 Wed 05-Oct-11 15:40:24

I did not received any notifications of reply either, very strange!

My boy is only 3 months so pretty transportable anywhere. Happy to try Gymboree. Can you go in for just a drinks, as Mylo is not yet able to join the fun.

Cheers

Evelyne

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now