Local Talk

Looking for a fun pool near-ish to MK

(10 Posts)
GoldenSnitch Tue 16-Aug-11 09:40:56

I take the children to swimming lessons so they get plety of time learning to swim but since Shenley became members only and Bletchley pool was ruined rebuilt, there's nowhere to go 'fun' swimming anymore which is a shame.

Does anyone have any suggestion of fun pools around MK? I've heard there is one in Buckingham and maybe Bedford but I'm not from round here originally and have never been to either so I have no idea what they're like so would love some recommendations...

My children are only 4.5 and 20 months but my SIL has been asking me if I know of anywhere for her children too who are all much older (12, 10 and 8) so somewhere with flumes etc would be good.

TIA

MrsTink Sat 27-Aug-11 21:08:51

You could try Aylesbury - it's good for all ages.

NewportJo Mon 12-Sep-11 16:51:14

I've been to the Oasis pool at Bedford a few time and think that it's very good for all ages.
It's a real shame there's nothing like that in MK.

GoldenSnitch Tue 13-Sep-11 15:31:24

Thanks all. We've tried the Oasis now (which we liked but was a little dated and DD was restricted to the beach area really as there weren't many shallow areas where she could stand) and The Swan pool in Buckingham (we were a little disappointed as while newer, it didn't offer a lot more than Middleton Pool really. The big pool was freezing and time in the little pool was limited to 45 minute sessions and the little slide DS was loving was taken away after about 10 minutes and left sitting on the side sad)

We've had Danes Camp in Northampton recommended now and it looks really good on the website so we're going to try it this weekend I think. I will report back smile

It is a real shame that there's nothing like this in MK. There used to be Shenley and Bletchely pools but the Shenley one is members only now and Bletchley was ruined when they updated it. The Splash Zone at Gullivers is the closest now but there is no standing water there for swimming and it's not suitable for DD.

Amateurish Mon 19-Sep-11 15:36:34

Towcester pool? I've heard good things.

zipzap Mon 19-Sep-11 15:44:31

Watching this with interest as have little dc who are just beginning to get interested in swimming so it would be nice to have somewhere fun to go. Went to the splashzone at gullivers recently for the first time ever - dc1 who hates even getting his face splashed in the bath was very hesitant at first but by the end was loving it and had even brought his goggles back to me as he didn't need them (result!)

I used to go to the pool in shenley - they had some good cheap trial memberships but unfortunately it then had a fire and was closed for ages - think it still is unless anybody has been recently?

GoldenSnitch Mon 19-Sep-11 20:28:43

We tried Danes Camp at the weekend and it was definitely our favourite so far. Huge shallow area with a beach entry for DD to paddle around in which included a bubble area and some pirate themed toys to play with - a mini slide, an activity centre with buckets for collecting and tipping water, a 'mast' with falling water and a 'cloud' which rained occasionally. The water was nice and warm too and swimming time was unlimited. There was also a large deeper area for bigger kids/adults with an area for proper swimming. The flume had a height restriction of just 90cms too so DS was able to go on.

The building and pool were modern and well kept and it wasn't too expensive to get in. It was about the same distance from MK as Bedford and Buckingham too so not much farther to go.

The only bit we weren't very impressed with was the Diner afterwards. The food was very limited in choice and very greasy. The chicken nuggets had were awful and neither ate them.

Next on our list to try is Aylesbury and Towcester...

Definitely recommend the Oasis pool at Bedford, and I agree it's such a shame that somewhere like MK just doesn't have such a facility. Downside I found with Danes Camp was that the water was quite cold.

karen51 Thu 05-Apr-12 15:26:57

Have a look at Coral Reef Bracknell's Water World. It's in Berkshire though I don't know how far that would be for you to get to. There is a voucher £5 off a family ticket at www.schoolholidaydates.com/free+vouchers

GoldenSnitch Thu 05-Apr-12 18:39:57

As lovely as it looks, it would take almost an hour and a half to get to - assuming the M25 was running smoothly.

Maybe a bit far for a Sunday swim but thank you for the suggestion

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now