Local Talk

I need your opinions - hope you can help!

(3 Posts)
Timetomakeachange Fri 06-Dec-13 12:57:57

Hi there,
I'm trying to find out more information about social workers, children in care, support for families etc and peoples varying opinions about what they have experienced themselves or from what they've seen in the media.
If you have a moment, I would be really grateful if you could let me know if you can think of one small change that could be made to our social care system that could have a big impact overall. Or do you think it's fine as it is? Do you work in children's and families services and can tell me what red tape hinders your role and dictates what you are allowed to do for the child and their family? I would really appreciate your help.

Kind regards

Timetomakeachange Fri 06-Dec-13 13:02:12

I have a Facebook group if you're interested. Just search Time to Make A Change

TinselTownley Tue 17-Dec-13 17:16:43

My mother, who worked at practically every level in children's services would definitely argue for more mature, empathetic social workers. Newly qualified staff, without children of there own, she would argue need far more training, development and worldly knowledge than a degree alone affords. She would, doubtless, advocate that people be aware they - when squabbling over minor marital issues in court - they are depriving families and children in dire need of valuable court time.

She would certainly try and make people understand that 'social workers' don't decide on the removal of children. Tough one for the Mail to get its head around but it's the courts who make such decisions, albeit on the advice of other professionals.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now