Local Talk

Royal Gwent or Ystrad?

(26 Posts)
cherrypieplum Sat 31-Mar-12 14:37:41

Has anyone had recent experiences of giving birth in either of these hospitals?

I had DD at the Gwent in 2009. Not recent I know but hopefully this will bump for you so someone useful can post! grin

WishYouWereMine Sat 31-Mar-12 21:46:42

I gave birth at the Gwent in November 2011. (Although laboured at home).

What do you want to know in particular?

MustControlFistOfDeath Sat 31-Mar-12 21:53:29

I chose Nevill Hall Abergavenny (Nov 2010) rather than go to the Gwent

cherrypieplum Sun 01-Apr-12 19:54:28

WishYouWereMine- not sure really! I know it Ystrad that my husband could stay with me but I don't think that's allowed in the Gwent.

MustControlFistOfDeath- have you heard bad things about the Gwent? My concern is being in a mid-wife led hospital if something goes wrong and having to get to another hospital.

MustControlFistOfDeath Mon 02-Apr-12 21:50:31

cherry a friend of mine had a really bad experience there (with the worst outcome imaginable) but this was a long time ago (about 12 years ago). Enough to make me never want to give birth there though.

Having said that lots of my family have been born there (cousins, cousins children, all of my nieces and nephews). I was born there too a long long long time ago

All the best wherever you decide smile

TaffyandTeenyTaffy Mon 02-Apr-12 22:00:41

I spent a few weeks at the Gwent prior to having DS very prem in 2010. I had amazing care - I was under the care of 4 consultants for various complications in my pregnancy - and DS was in NICU & SCBU for several weeks afterwards. The staff were fab but short-staffed and over-worked at times. I didnt have a choice of midwife led care so had to go to the Gwent but cannot speak highly enough of them.

Good luck with wherever you choose.

QueenOfFlippingEverything Mon 02-Apr-12 22:09:56

No idea about the Gwent but Nevill Hall was like some sort of cattle market/production line when DS was born there (2010).

The midwives were rude, unsupportive, and indifferent, the 'delivery room' was a broom cupboard with no toilet (!), the food was shite inedible (lumps of powder in the soup, anyone?), and the BF support was non-existent. The only good thing about the place was the view of Sugar Loaf Mountain grin

englishmummyinwales Thu 05-Apr-12 19:41:22

My good friend and my sister in law have each had two babies at the Gwent (2003 - 2009) and have nothing but positive things to say about it.

I had two babies at Nevill Hall (2008 and 2009) and also have only positive things to say about the care. (and also the view!)

The visiting hours for Dads however, is another matter altogether (at both) and still makes my blood boil now....

WishYouWereMine Thu 05-Apr-12 19:57:57

In the Postnatal ward, DP was allowed to stay all day (from 9-8 if I remember correctly).

I wasn't actually in labour there (got there and was 10cm so straight to delivery). The Midwife was marvellous and everything went well with delivery.

Breastfeeding support... some of the midwives were fantastic. Some were not. (Every time I fed, I asked someone to come and check the latch. They missed A LOT). DD ended up losing 12% of her birth weight in 72 hours due to poor latch, and we ended up giving up after 18 days.

Good luck, and if you want to know anything else just let me know!

cherrypieplum Mon 09-Apr-12 10:53:19

Thanks very much!

wishyouweremine thank you!

Since starting this thread we had a bit of a scare (baby's movement reduced over a few days) and the Gwent were atrocious. I was talked over by someone who didn't even listen to me and told that I should just drink a load of Coke. Which didn't actually help. Ystrad midwife stayed on after her shift to check me over. Made my decision for me!

AimsBK Mon 09-Apr-12 19:13:30

This is a really interesting thread for me cherrypieplum. I had my son in the Gwent in 2006 and was treated appallingly by all bar 1 MW.

We are now expecting a little girl in June and I am really unsure whether to give the Gwent another shot or to transfer to Nevill Hall.

NH is about 30/40 minutes away and I've heard that the Gwent has greatly improved but I just dont know...

cherrypieplum Tue 10-Apr-12 18:42:44

NH is not one of my options and I've loved all the staff in Ystrad (bar a couple of stroppy sonpgraphers). The only thing that worries me is the idea of having to go to the Gwent if something goes wrong :S

kduff Fri 01-Jun-12 10:39:02

My "plan" was to give birth naturally at Ystrad... however, ended up having an emergency c section at 42 weeks at the Royal Gwent. I have nothing but good things to say about the staff and my treatment at the Gwent and have a healthy 3 week old boy called George.

cherrypieplum Sat 02-Jun-12 11:05:40

Congratulations!

MyThumbsHaveGoneWeird Sat 02-Jun-12 11:27:20

The doctors midwives were lovely to me at the Gwent and very competent, great with breastfeeding support, but they were very busy and understaffed and the visiting hours were appalling. Even DH was only allowed in a few hours a day. It was really really hard being all alone with a new baby with some health problems (fine now) when I knew my large loving family were only 15 mins drive away but not allowed to come. It still makes me upset thinking about it.

cherrypieplum Fri 08-Jun-12 15:21:26

Thanks Thumbs. One of the main reasons I want Ystrad is the fact that partners can stay. I think it's important for both of us.

AtticusFlinched Tue 10-Jul-12 13:16:18

My DW is due to give birth at the Gwent in October. Just checked and from December 2011, they allow partners to stay between 9am and 8pm. Info here:

www.wales.nhs.uk/sitesplus/866/page/40734

AtticusFlinched Tue 10-Jul-12 13:20:16

Ahh, just realised - they have protected meal times and protected quiet times between 12-2.30pm and 6-7pm. So even though they say partners are allowed 9am - 8pm, that's not quite true.

bacon Sat 21-Jul-12 10:20:06

AT the end of the day the Gwent taken in a huge amount of births - it is a production line and Neville Hall is also under the same board so there will be little difference. I was booked in for Caerphilly Midwive led unit for DS1 but that didnt happen. Shame as it was like a private hospital.

The beds are choked up by 'high risk' mums (sorry but many obsese young girls with endless health problems which shocked me) which means bed block. Main delivery was amazing with DS2 I had the most amazing care due to crash section on the weekend. There is a mix of MVs and much apathy, was shocked to have lack of care after section on main wards.

I have little experience of low risk ward (level 5) but would be a lot calmer.

It isnt the experience but then again its a busy board and unless you can afford to birth in a private hospital then you have to put up with it.

If your lucky to go into labour naturally then I would opt for a ML unit however Ystrad isnt exactly local.

cherrypieplum Tue 31-Jul-12 02:44:54

Thank you.

As it happened I was taken into the gwent with high bp and went into
Labour naturally. The midwife who delivered my baby however some were apathetic, patronising and downright arsy. One midwife packed me off back to bed telling me I had braxton hicks when I was having contractions (which I coped with alone in the dark for 6 hours).

The night staff did the bare minimum and one actually advised me to sleep with my baby in bed(!) which led to me feeling conflicted and very tearful yet my midwife the next day spent hours with me and really cared. It was also disconcerting to have the doctors and midwives be openly hostile to each other at times as was the doctor who said, 'you know me, no pain relief.' luckily I stamped my feet and got pain relief (eventually!)

bacon Mon 27-Aug-12 23:14:08

Sadly, the night staff seemed to do very little. Surely the least they could of done was walked the ward checking up. I had c section twice but never once did they offer to sit me up or hand baby over.

No one noticed that I wasnt producing milk and let me out with a starving baby (not fed at all) and second time not checking my mental health after my husband told them how much of a state I was in after a crash section! IMO too obsesed with BF over the basics.

MyThumbsHaveGoneWeird Sat 01-Sep-12 15:02:19

Just came back to this thread after ages. That's great news about the visiting hours atticus. So so much better than in 2010. Good luck for October!

I had my DS1 in the Gwent in 2010 (awful visiting times) and my DS2 there in April this year. Both births couoldnt have been more different, and after my experience for this first, I actually had a homebirth booked for DS2, but ended up going very overdue and being induced.
The main problem I had was that the midwives didnt trust me at all first time to tell them what was going on. My blood pressure went up and they moved me from the MLU to the CLU. While I was being moved, I had to push, but was told off by the midwife, told I was being silly and it would be ages yet. Got to the room and put on the monitor, to find DS1 was distressed, and he was born about 20mins later (by ventouse)
DS2, once I was in labour, me and DH were left to it (which was great! The midwife was only just outside the whole time). When I felt I had to push, he called her, she came in, and DS2 was born straight after. No problems at all smile
Though I had to wait bloody ages to be discharged as there was only one paediatrician, who didnt have time to see DS2 the first day (he was born at 5.30am, she finished her shift at 6pm...)

applecrumple Fri 12-Oct-12 23:59:09

I gave birth to my DD 4 weeks ago in the royal gwent - she was delivered by emerg c section & spent 9 days in ICU. They are amazing at the gwent - absolutely cannot fault them at all

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now