Local Talk

moving to area - where should we live?

(4 Posts)
cbaker Sun 30-Dec-12 21:02:34

we are moving back to this area after 10 years away. We are coming back with 2 children (4 and 2). We having spent our christmas holidays looking at different areas but would love some advice on good areas for kids, good schools, etc.
We have been looking Glaswllch, Bellevue park area, north newport, bassaleg so any advice gratefully received.

LastDadStanding Wed 06-Feb-13 00:47:26

Lived in NP for the last 9 years, 2 lads - 4 and 4mnths. Western Ave/Melborne Way/Vancouver Drive all good for Glasllwch School. Lovely spot to live in my experience, Junct. 27 (Highcross) is the least congested way to get on the M4 in the rush hour if you need to get to Cardiff or Bristol. Gaer Fort, Sirhowy Way, Allt-yr-Yn Wood and the canal path to Fourteen Locks Canal Centre all on the doorstep here for walking or cycling.

Bellvue Park area nice as well, feels a bit more crowded. There's a nice park there (on a hill!) but it gets very congested if you're looking to commute out of Newport to work - expect a wait in rush hour.

Don't know about Basseleg (hear that it's good though) but if by north Newport you mean Malpas/Bettws then I'm not fond if I'm honest.

Good Luck wherever you end up tho.

LastDadStanding Sat 09-Feb-13 00:14:54

Also see link for inspection reports of local primary schools - www.estyn.gov.uk/english/inspection/inspection-reports/

bacon Fri 22-Feb-13 18:09:36

Clytha school as an excellent inspection so Preston Avenue, Redland Road, Jews wood etc.

Highcross area nice plus close to motorway and good school.

Bellvue is ok but sadly as big houses have attracted the flat conversion brigade and hence can be run down and rubbish strewn.

I do like Allt yr rn stunning houses and nice open areas at top but depends on your budget.

I would rather live in central newport than Malpas. The bus routes are great for newport and the train links excellent sadly town centre RAF but now I love outside the area I still like it. Sadly not known for its food culture unless you like currys and terrible restaurants.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now