Local Talk

How can I make my cafe children and parent friendly?

(9 Posts)
KatieCafe Thu 15-Dec-11 17:54:02

Hello,
I've just opened cafe in Newcastle. I would really like to make it as pleasant for parents and children as possible. I have toys and lots of space for buggies but I'm sure there's lots more I could do. I don't have any kids myself so would really appreciate any advice!

JingleyBalls Thu 15-Dec-11 18:03:33

Something for he kids to do at the table? Crayons in little pots and some colour mats?

Do you have a childrens menu, or can we order a smaller portion of the adults? Hate going into cafes and ony being able to order deep fried orange stuff.

G0ldenbrown Thu 15-Dec-11 18:21:03

I don't have children but I once went to a cafe in Sunderland who had white paper tablecloths and crayons on the table so we the kids could draw on the table. I thought it was awesome

Grumpla Thu 15-Dec-11 18:24:48

Couple of IKEA antilop highchairs. Very stable and easy to clean.

Some plastic glasses? A couple of sets of small cutlery?

But really as long as you have a couple of high chairs that's really all you need. Nothing worse than going to a cafe and trying to wrestle a squiggly baby whilst drinking a hot drink.

spaceal Thu 15-Dec-11 18:54:53

Second Antilop high chairs.

And yes, nice stuff/small portions for babies/children on the menu, especially nice home-cooked stuff without loads of salt/sugar/etc.

Nice changing space/table - more than one even, if you have the room.

Easy access - door that opens easily, is wide enough.

Where is your cafe?

WowOoo Thu 15-Dec-11 18:59:37

Some books for children. Newspapers or mags for grown ups.

Where are you? I'll come and visit.

Kayano Mon 19-Dec-11 21:30:46

I want to know too grin

KatieCafe Wed 21-Mar-12 15:21:19

thanks for all these replies. really really useful and we've done lots of the things that you suggested! now we have a kids menu with healthy stuff and a children's blackboard table you can draw on with chalk.

We are called Teasy Does It, and are at 150 Heaton Park Road, Heaton, NE6 5NR - this is the website http://www.teasydoesit.com/ - come and say hello! smile

AnitaBlake Wed 21-Mar-12 15:45:12

How family-friendly are you looking at? H found a cafe in Whtley Bay, name of which escapes me atm, I'lll ask him when he gets up (nightshift) which he said was inspired for people with LOs in tow!

If you are looking at being BF friendly, think comfy seats, tub chairs are great, and cosy groupings, for those less confident in themselves.

The most friendly thing for me though, haas been table service. Even if not offered routinely, a simple gesture by staff for those wrestling toddlers/pushchairs/babes-in-arms, to carry you tray, are soo welcome!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now